Ety questions
Feb 15, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 24
I don't get a good seal unless I moisten them. Sometimes beer's all I've got, like when travelling (I'm not about to use spit, this is going in my EARS for gods sake).

Feb 15, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
I don't get a good seal unless I moisten them. Sometimes beer's all I've got, like when travelling (I'm not about to use spit, this is going in my EARS for gods sake).

I think I'd want to get to know my seat mate before I made that decision, Zowie.
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 24
Ha! Well, you don't have to actually spit on them or lick them like well, something. You basically can just wet your lips and "kiss" the tips of the Etys. You know, kinda just brush the tips on the outside of your moistened lips.

You'll get used to it. Come on! I know you WANT to.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #21 of 24
Someone should come out with a commercial product that is artificial spit for Ety's.
tongue.gif

This will sound strange. If you want to try a difference between dry and wet ears, try listening to the Ety's after a shower. Usually my ears are water logged after a shower.

Feb 15, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 24
I've been meaning to ask -- I just got my pair today, but I'm having (I believe) somewhat of a bit of trouble creating a truly good seal.

To 'wet' the white tips, I don't just dunk the whole thing into a vial of water, do it? I'd think that any acoustical driver, no matter what kind, really, really dislikes liquids getting into it. Does the green filter take care of that?

Also: it seems to be slightly bright and bass-shy at the moment. Should I be expecting as much bass as I get from my HD-600s? And is there any break-in for these ER-4S?

Thanks all!

Feb 16, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Alleria
I've been meaning to ask -- I just got my pair today, but I'm having (I believe) somewhat of a bit of trouble creating a truly good seal.

To 'wet' the white tips, I don't just dunk the whole thing into a vial of water, do it? I'd think that any acoustical driver, no matter what kind, really, really dislikes liquids getting into it. Does the green filter take care of that?

Also: it seems to be slightly bright and bass-shy at the moment. Should I be expecting as much bass as I get from my HD-600s? And is there any break-in for these ER-4S?

Thanks all!

Come on, let's stop ***** footin' around. We all use spit, fercrissakes! The only time I've found that to be a problem is once when I was eating a burger. I think it was the damned mayo. I mean it was like invisible on those white tips, man. Fortunately, I've got a cat.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, search on the thread "Etys: The Secret of the Seal." Also, compare the sizes of all your silicon (white) tips. Some Etys have been shipped with a larger size installed and you may get a better seal with the small ones.

Also keep in mind that when inserted properly, the cords will be hanging straight down, not sticking out.

With a good seal you can expect the best frequency response you've ever heard from any headphone, ranging from the lowest (and best controlled) lows to absolutely crystalline highs. But, as you will hear again and again on these forums, the bass is "different." It's all there, but it is less tactile. You don't feel it in the same way.

Don't be discouraged with the Etys. Most of us are slightly disappointed at first. Then we learn how to use them and are simply flabberghasted when we really hear what they can do.

Feb 16, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #24 of 24
Thanks for the tips! I'm not at all disappointed with the bass quality, just somewhat with the quantity, and thought I had a seal problem (maybe I do). In all honesty, these things have far more tuneful and well-defined bass than my HD-600s, and this is coming from a guy with 2 pairs of HD-600s!

But yeah, I'm absolutely floored so far by their performance. These are some _sweet_ little cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back