Ety Questions
Sep 21, 2007 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Doc Sarvis

1000+ Head-Fier
Two questions for the Ety experts here:

1. Would you comment on the sonic differences between the Er4p and ER6i?

2. Are the tips interchangable between these two phones?

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two questions for the Ety experts here:

1. Would you comment on the sonic differences between the Er4p and ER6i?

2. Are the tips interchangable between these two phones?

The Er-4P are in a completely different league and considered reference quality and the tips are not interchangable with the ER6i tips.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 5
I've owned all of the Ety line (except the bluetooth model) and could give you a quick comparison.

Both the ER6 and ER6i are very average in the budget IEM range. The ER6 is the better of the two, smoother and more natural than the 'i'. The 'i' has a lot less detail and a very modest bass hump, honestly it's pretty awful.

The ER4 range improve in every area. The spectrum is far more balanced, the highs controlled, the bass very deep. Instrument seperation is much better, imaging is nigh on perfect (best I've ever heard in any headphone). The difference between the P and S is a little complex though. The P is very very flat, every instrument represented like all the others. Etymotic's website talks about "improved bass response" in the P, I don't find that at all. The bass is simply inline with all the other frequencies. The S on the other hand sounds more natural. A/B them quickly and yes, you could say the S is brighter and has less bass. Listen to them for longer periods of time and you'll find the S to be more 'live' and the P to be dull and flat. This difference lends well to their preferred usage scenarios, the P great for 'on-the'go' use, easy to drive, 'in-the-backgound'. The S is for critical 'home/hotel' listening, good source (lossless) DAC etc, mind more on the music.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4 range improve in every area. The spectrum is far more balanced, the highs controlled, the bass very deep. Instrument seperation is much better, imaging is nigh on perfect (best I've ever heard in any headphone). The difference between the P and S is a little complex though. The P is very very flat, every instrument represented like all the others. Etymotic's website talks about "improved bass response" in the P, I don't find that at all. The bass is simply inline with all the other frequencies. The S on the other hand sounds more natural. A/B them quickly and yes, you could say the S is brighter and has less bass. Listen to them for longer periods of time and you'll find the S to be more 'live' and the P to be dull and flat. This difference lends well to their preferred usage scenarios, the P great for 'on-the'go' use, easy to drive, 'in-the-backgound'. The S is for critical 'home/hotel' listening, good source (lossless) DAC etc, mind more on the music.

I completely agree with your description of the ER4P. Still, I didn't find the ER4S to sound much more natural. They have less bass, for sure. How would you describe the improvements with ER4S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back