Ety Protest Demonstration
Jun 3, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #31 of 42
...of the four options is "the one to have" (or at least the one you have)?

I am not entirely clear on the different cord replacement options...it looks like a couple of them are identical.

- Matt

Jun 3, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #32 of 42
my too sense go with:

1/4" on an S with a longer no-microphonic cable

given that the P is expressly for portables, why not make the S just as expressly for not portables. that was what i was expecting when i bought my S. i was surprised to see that termination on my S; just because they're in-ear doesn't mean they have to have silly cables.

toodles,
robert

Jun 3, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #33 of 42
I would like to recommend that Etymotic consider putting in 4 of each size of their foam plugs (S, M, L) so that the user can decide for themselves which sized foams fits them the best. That way we wouldn't have to invest in a full packet of 10 foams if we want to try some other sizes, only to find out it doesn't fit us.

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
...of the four options is "the one to have" (or at least the one you have)?

I am not entirely clear on the different cord replacement options...it looks like a couple of them are identical.

- Matt

The fixup.net cable I have is the 100ohm straight gold plug replacement cable. They didn't have all of the other options when I ordered mine, so I don't know much about how they compare. I've been very happy with the product they delivered, although I still get a significant amount of microphonic noise which was disappointing. I rarely listen to my Etys anywhere but in bed, though, so it's not too much of a problem.

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 42
I would like to see a real reference cable produced for the 4S/4P/4B, one that addresses microphonics(not a problem for me personally), but one that improves sound on par with the Cardas cable for the Senns, for example. And one that costs under $100!

The ETYs could be turned into each version with a flip of a switch on this replacement cable, instead of unplugging a cable. Or each replacement cable could be specifically for each model(fine with me).

Is there a market for this like there is for the Senn replacements?
Somebody make one!

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #36 of 42
What robert said makes sense and I'd like to second it. Only thing is, alot of people are going to want to use the 4S with small portable amps and whatnot and when you've got a jumbo plug plus and adaptor to change to a 1/8" you've just given yourself a big ol lever to unroot and destroy your output jack on your portable by prying it all to hell every time it's tampered with and bounces around in your pocket, etc. This is just what happens. So I mean come on guys. Really how much of a degradation in sound is it to use an adaptor for plugging them into big daddy? I really am ignorant on subject. I'm a total rookie, newbie, knows nothing snotnose, but don't they have goldplated, silver guts adaptors for that kind of thing that would keep everything shipshape?

As a matter of practicality, you know. If Don's listening, I'd like to see my idea come through, the straight plug short cord ER-4P (or the proposed 50 ohm ER-4X) for plugging into a remote would be sweet! But just being practical, I don't think that's something that Etymotics is going to consider. I'm putting all my enery into lobbying to get rid of the cord noise. PERIOD.

OH and of course. IDEALLY, modularly changing cables (duh) would just plain make EVERYTHING better. Wouldn't it? But Don has said that there are some serious problems doing that with trusting people to change their own cords, maintaining good connections, and with drivers casings becoming permanantly lodged inside peoples' ears if when they tug, the cord pops off (just kidding). But to work on that along with some ingeniously designed cord lenth/plug options plus NO microphonics would be an end all. (but a lot of work) It would be totally worth it to ety because no one would have ANY reason not to buy ER-4s other than money of course. And looking in from the outside..I'm no audiophile...That has never stopped any one of you!

edit: yeah and what BenG says is cool---a switch in the cord, but the the amount of extra work and stuff that goes into it, Ety would be better rewarded by working on modular cables (plus it'd allow for different lengths/plug options) because they'e get more out of it. If on the other hand everyone just had to go out and buy ONE set of headphones with the switch to change resistance and the option of changing to a 4B in the cord, then they'd either have to raise the price tremendously or none of that extra hard work and research and alteration in the manufacturing process would be rewarded. On the other hand I think the modular idea may be a little more rewarding for Ety and worth the effort.

Jun 3, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #37 of 42
Personally...I don't like the idea of a 1/4'' plug, especially since I mosly use ETY's for portables (because of their small size)

Jun 3, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #38 of 42
BobbyDigital is right. We can't produce a different version for each person. We used to have a 4ft. cable, but we switched to a 5ft version after the majority of customers said they wanted a longer cable.

Why would I care if the Lakers go to a movie, unless I had to sit behind the 7' tall 400lb thug? How would I see the screen. (Sorry, but I think basketball talent involves more than knocking people over and dunking the ball.)

We added the connector to make it easier for us to control inventory, and so we could match transducers. We designed the connector with splayed pins so it wouldn't come apart when the headphone is removed from someones ears. With the current socket design we can't control the tolerance close enough to give good contact, and make the cable easily removeable. Because we once had problems with intermittent contact due to a loose socket pin we now keep the socket very tight. The socket design also wouldn't hold up to daily insertion and removal of the cable without stretching. We replace cables here at the factory, but it often destroys the cable in the process.

We use a similiar design to the sennheiser spring connection on some of our other headphones, but this wouldn't fit on the ER-4.

A complete redesign of the ER-4 would be required to switch to a new connector, and might be a possibility in the future. I wouldn't want to add much mass to the ER-4 just so 5% of the customers can swap cables on a daily basis. Adding a reliable switching equalization pod to the cable would be expensive. We already pay too much for the cables.

At this point I am not sure that a different cable can eliminate the mechanical noise. As a simple test try taping, or scratching the case (or cable connector) of your ER-4 or an earplug when inserted in your ear.

The best bet is to wrap the cable over the ear. We could improve this by switching to a 90 degree connector so the cable can be wrapped over the ear more easily. As you can see from the fixup cable where it presses up against the users face, the 90 degree configuration has some problems for the people who don't want to wrap the cable around their ear.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Jun 4, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #40 of 42
just drill a hole in the back of the cylinder and find out. Be sure to let us all know the results.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #41 of 42
I wouldn't bother drilling the hole. The transducer is potted in epoxy inside the case.

The transducer is designed to drive a sealed volume, and have a sealed back volume. The only thing you can do is ruin the transducer, or roll of the lows if you didn't damage the transducer.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Users who are viewing this thread

Back