Ety or Shure Triflanges?
May 16, 2006 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

slidemasterx

New Head-Fier
I’m getting a Westone UM-1 and I’m planning to order some triflanges to go with it because I don’t like the idea of having to replace foam tips every few weeks. I was wondering, do Etymotic triflanges fit on the UM1? If not, are Shure triflanges the only choice left? Thanks

May 16, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
I think the Ety and Shure triflanges are identical. I just got 5 pair from Ety for my E5Cs and if there's a difference between them and the pair I'm using (supplied by Shure), I can't see it.

The 3-flanges with the Ety 6i's have the stem clipped all the way to the base of the large flange, whereas the Shure 3-flanges hae a stem that's about a half inch long if I remember correctly (the shures need trimming).

May 16, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby
The 3-flanges with the Ety 6i's have the stem clipped all the way to the base of the large flange, whereas the Shure 3-flanges hae a stem that's about a half inch long if I remember correctly (the shures need trimming).

Ah- I trimmed mine down already so forgot. Thank you.

May 16, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 16
If you order from earphonesolutions you get a free set...
wink.gif

May 16, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
If you order from earphonesolutions you get a free set...
wink.gif

Ah yes, I like earphonesolutions quite a lot. With UM2 you *also* get a free airplane adapter.

May 16, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 16
i prefer Ety as the flangs is softer so more comfy for me

May 16, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87
i prefer Ety as the flangs is softer so more comfy for me

Maybe you have an older set or something, but the new ones are identical except for the length of the "stalk"- same color, same softness, same size.

May 16, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for you replies. I'm ordering from the earplug superstore because I have an earplug which I sent back to be remade so when it comes back, the UM-1 can go with it with free shipping.

So does the Ety flange fit on the UM-1? I think I read somewhere around here that it doesn't.
confused.gif

May 16, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slidemasterx
Thanks for you replies. I'm ordering from the earplug superstore because I have an earplug which I sent back to be remade so when it comes back, the UM-1 can go with it with free shipping.

So does the Ety flange fit on the UM-1? I think I read somewhere around here that it doesn't.
confused.gif

I stuck the one that i thiink came with my ety 6i onto the Um2, fits fine. I think the only incompatibility is that the 6i needs the longer stalk of the Shure 3-flange for it to not put pressure on my ear canal.

May 16, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 16
I have UM2s and I needed to use the Shure Tri-flange in order to get a proper seal. I needed the stalk to get the proper extension into my ear canal. I'd recommend going with this, since the Shure and Westone tips tend to fit each other perfectly.

May 17, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
I have UM2s and I needed to use the Shure Tri-flange in order to get a proper seal. I needed the stalk to get the proper extension into my ear canal. I'd recommend going with this, since the Shure and Westone tips tend to fit each other perfectly.

But if you mod the triflange to a biflange and cut the stem, won’t the Shure triflange be just as short as the Ety without the modding?

May 17, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slidemasterx
But if you mod the triflange to a biflange and cut the stem, won’t the Shure triflange be just as short as the Ety without the modding?

Yep, I believe it would be at that point. If you know for a fact they fit, then it works out just fine. Otherwise, you might as well go with the ones with options.

May 17, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 16
I have worn my Etymotic ER20 earplugs while performing and traveling for about a year now I have gotten used to the feel of them. The Ety triflanges are so much cheaper than the Shure ones. So correct me if I’m wrong here, if I modify the Ety triflange to be biflanges, I don’t need to cut the stem anymore but just cut off the smallest flange? And this will work on a UM1? thanks

May 17, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 16
I checked earplug superstore for their prices and the Etymotic triflange was $14.95 for 5 pairs while the Shure was $26.95 for only 3 pairs. Is it worth spending more money for the shures? 3 pairs doesn't seem enough if you want to experiment with cutting off the stem and small flange and it seems risky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back