Ety HF5 - Tri-Flanges - Am I not putting them in far enough?
Aug 24, 2013 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Listen2Yourself

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

Bought a pair of Ety HF5s the other day, and I read that if I can't hear people talking around me when there is no music being played, then they are in right.

I also read, if I can hear the bass they're in far enough.

Well, i've only had them two days, and not had a chance to wear around people yet, but I can hear the clicking of my own finger and thumb as a test, but I do hear bass on a few songs.

I've pushed them in what I would consider pretty deep, and there is a bit of discomfort, little bit of tinnitus to (that stopped when I stopped with the ADHD medication,but now has returned :/), and there is a bit of suction when I pull them out, not a lot, but still.

Using the medium size tri flanges atm, but I don't think i'm getting proper isolation?
I feel I had better isolation with my few month old Klipsch s4i

The back of the earphone is past the little bit on the centre front middle of ear, surely they don't go in further than that?

I've not tried the other tips yet (not sure how i'm supposed to use the foam ones, they're huge, lol), just wondering is this "normal" though? I can additionally hear the keys on my chiclet keyboard on my laptop as I type, sooooo.... ?

Hmm.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hi all.

Bought a pair of Ety HF5s the other day, and I read that if I can't hear people talking around me when there is no music being played, then they are in right.

I also read, if I can hear the bass they're in far enough.

Well, i've only had them two days, and not had a chance to wear around people yet, but I can hear the clicking of my own finger and thumb as a test, but I do hear bass on a few songs.

I've pushed them in what I would consider pretty deep, and there is a bit of discomfort, little bit of tinnitus to (that stopped when I stopped with the ADHD medication,but now has returned :/), and there is a bit of suction when I pull them out, not a lot, but still.

Using the medium size tri flanges atm, but I don't think i'm getting proper isolation?
I feel I had better isolation with my few month old Klipsch s4i

The back of the earphone is past the little bit on the centre front middle of ear, surely they don't go in further than that?

I've not tried the other tips yet (not sure how i'm supposed to use the foam ones, they're huge, lol), just wondering is this "normal" though? I can additionally hear the keys on my chiclet keyboard on my laptop as I type, sooooo.... ?

Hmm.

Try the foam ones.*  They'll give you an idea of the sound you're supposed to get.  Roll them between your fingers to compress them, being careful to keep the foam pressed away from the tip (don't let the foam close over the tip).  Insert into your ear while the foam is compressed.  They'll expand to whatever shape exists inside of your ear to form a complete seal.  The right angle cable joint should be just outside of the bottom opening of your ear.  If the cable is somewhat inside your ear, they're pushed in too far.

The foam is more of a hassle to put in than the tri-flanges, but they will give you an idea of what the tri-flanges are supposed to sound like.  From your description, you may need the larger tri-flanges, but only you can tell.  Keep in mind when people say you shouldn't hear anything, that's an exaggeration.  They isolate better than almost anything made, but your ears are still better than that.  You will also never get a better seal with the tri-flanges than with the foam, but the tri-flanges are easiest to put in and take out.  If they're not in far enough, music will sound distant and tinny and practically no bass - like a cheap radio.  If they're in too far, your ears will hurt (reason enough to pull them out) and your heartbeat/breathing will be as loud/louder than the music. 
wink.gif

* EDIT: I'm talking about the sponge-looking memory foam that's shaped like a Coke can.  I have the ER-4PT's and they come with some mushroom looking things that are foam as well.  It's the cylinder-shaped memory foam ones I'm describing.  Except for the hollow plastic tube in the middle, they're like foam-insert hearing protectors.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 3
It takes some time to get used to etymotic's flanges. The first time I thought they were almost touching my brain... Now its hard to find any other iem with the same isolation, at least for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back