ety-ER6's lack bass response
Sep 1, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
One thing I do have to ask -- why does every thread started by someone who regrets their purchase of the ER6 turn into a defense of the ER6 itself replete with graphs? If someone doesn't like the sound and is looking for corroboration, why not let it go?

If you have to ask that question, you haven't read the thread
tongue.gif

If people don't like the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, it's a good bet the reason is simply that they don't like that headphone's "sound."

With Etys (and this is just as true with the ER-4 series, which generate the same kinds of threads), the explanation is not that simple, because there are other factors at play that are not present with other headphones. Possible reasons for not liking the "sound" of the ER-6 include: not getting a good seal (maybe they would like it if they were getting a good seal); not being used to a lack of visceral bass (many people feel this way when initially hearing Etys, but after listening for "real" -- audible -- bass, change their mind); listening to them in environments with lots of low-frequency noise (which, as described above, is simply not a good match for the ER-6); or it's possible that even with the previous reasons controlled for, they just really don't like the Ety "sound."

Given that situation, and given that the ER-6 are capable of providing impressive sound quality. You're always going to get a lot of responses in these threads that include suggestions on how to enjoy these headphones more.

As for people defending Etys with graphs, that's bound to happen when someone comes in and makes factually incorrect statements about their frequency response
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
As for people defending Etys with graphs, that's bound to happen when someone comes in and makes factually incorrect statements about their frequency response
wink.gif

Yeah, but that's exactly why I raised the question: technical defenses of the ER6's frequency range don't always address the practicalities of perceived frequency range.

My experience with ER6s -- not just with silicone tips, but with foam ones as well -- is one of having to squint to hear what lower voices are saying: the bass mumbles when compared to that of the ER-4. Therefore if I say "the ER6 lacks bass," the implication is subjective and therefore empirical -- graphs aren't going to factor in unless I suggest that *anyone who hears otherwise is a hydrocephaloid*, etc.

Some headphones do take getting used to -- Senn 580s, for example. I wanted to throw mine across the room before the burn set in. But barring earmolds making a significant difference, I doubt I'll change my mind about the ER6. I'm not being obstinate, just honest.

I can hear the clarity and strata of musical parts right away and that, for me, is what's great about them. But no semester of heard bass perception or slew of seal seminars are going to enhance my ER6 experience at this point. I don't want to be a credulous ewe and deny what experience is shoving in my face.

Not to be all up in Jeff's business about graphs, though. I'm not saying they're irrelevant in every case -- just less relevant in cases when more's at work than sliding on a pair of one-size-fits-all phones.

Sep 2, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Yeah, but that's exactly why I raised the question: technical defenses of the ER6's frequency range don't always address the practicalities of perceived frequency range.

But it's not just "technical" -- in a less-than-noisy environment, the bass on the ER-6 is quite good. It's only in certain circumstances that the bass appears to be lacking. I think it's important to point that distinction out, and that it's an important bit of info for people considering buying them.

Quote:

My experience with ER6s -- not just with silicone tips, but with foam ones as well -- is one of having to squint to hear what lower voices are saying: the bass mumbles when compared to that of the ER-4. Therefore if I say "the ER6 lacks bass," the implication is subjective and therefore empirical

The implication might be subjective, but to the reader, the inference may very well be that your statement is objective
wink.gif

Quote:

Some headphones do take getting used to -- Senn 580s, for example. I wanted to throw mine across the room before the burn set in. But barring earmolds making a significant difference, I doubt I'll change my mind about the ER6. I'm not being obstinate, just honest.

Understood.

Sep 3, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #20 of 26
i decided not to get the er6, but instead save for the er4... i got the ex70 to hold me over for now. but when i listened to the er6, i was in a noisy environment, but i think that the er4 had tighter bass, maybe more defined, to my memory/ right?

Sep 4, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 26
Well, since we're on the subject... (Again.)

My ER-6 complaint has never been with the bass, it has been that they are quite 'bright' to my ears.

In case I am totally misusing that term, there seems to be a push in the mid-treble range that is very fatiguing and gives me a nasty headache in about an hour or so.

Some female vocals or a lot of noisy snares and cymbals is the worst.

I mention this only to see if anyone else feels the same way or if I am totally on crack.

Anyone?

Sep 4, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #22 of 26
i feel the same way, and so i didnt get the er6. i think they are even worse than the ex70 with that mid-treble push.... thats why i am saving for the er4, the er4 doesnt fatigue like the er6.

Sep 4, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 26
I am still getting used to the er-6's. I am continuning to break them in, and I think the bass is coming out over time (a little, at least). I don't seem to mind the "brightness", I think I need to get used to that too, since I am not used to hearing these high frequencies, maybe I am "brainwashed" into not wanting to hear things that brightly. The definition produced by these cans is really pretty nice. I listen to concerts a lot, and the quality there is not alwasy A-1, so it may not make a difference as to the absolute quality of the earphones.

Am still trying to asure myself that I am getting a good fit. I have searched, but still am not sure how to know if I got it right. I am getting good Isolation, that's obvious, I can't hear the wife when she is talking (makes these cans worth their weight in gold, no offense to you ladies...). The bass does not necessarily "come up" when I get the seal, however, and that is what is making me unsure if I have a proper seal.

Sep 4, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Craig

My ER-6 complaint has never been with the bass, it has been that they are quite 'bright' to my ears.

In case I am totally misusing that term, there seems to be a push in the mid-treble range that is very fatiguing and gives me a nasty headache in about an hour or so.

Some female vocals or a lot of noisy snares and cymbals is the worst.

I mention this only to see if anyone else feels the same way or if I am totally on crack.

Anyone?

I'll bite, and refer you here, to a comparison review I did a while back in which I note the same thing:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ght=er6+ety+4p

Sep 4, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #25 of 26
That is a great review. My experiences with the ER-6 are very similar, though I would probably step over the line and use the word 'harsh.'

Of course, I now want to drop three bills on ER-4Ps.

I hate you so much. My fluffy kitten will now have to go without food for the rest of the year if I buy ER-4Ps.

All of you, you are bad influences and should be ashamed of yourselves.

(I do not really have a fluffy kitten to starve. That was supposed to be funny. Do not send the ASPCA.)

Sep 5, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Craig

Of course, I now want to drop three bills on ER-4Ps.

Thanks for the review of the review. And I will say this about what I quoted above: if I add up all the money I spent on mediocre headphones over the years trying to avoid buying expensive ones, I could have bought many pairs of expensive ones. I should have just bought the etys when I first started trying to get something that sounded like them but cost less...a word to the wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back