ETY ER6i with ETY P to S adapter
Dec 12, 2005 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sclemmons

100+ Head-Fier
I have an ETY 4p and an ETY 6i on order for my son for Christmas. Any idea how use of the P to S adapter would impact the sound? He can use it with or without an amp.

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 5
IIRC, there were posts by Don Wilson (who works for Etymotic) that the ER-6i is not changed significantly by the p->s adapter.

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
IIRC, there were posts by Don Wilson (who works for Etymotic) that the ER-6i is not changed significantly by the p->s adapter.

Can't understand this.

Adding 75 ohms resitance to either the ER 6i or the ER 4P, which is what the p -> S adapter does, is going to lower volume with a portable, making it more difficult to drive from the low power opamps in portables.

The adaptor should only be used with an external amp that prefers 100 ohm loads.

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 5
OK, that the frequency response is not significantly changed.

Dec 12, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Can't understand this.

Adding 75 ohms resitance to either the ER 6i or the ER 4P, which is what the p -> S adapter does, is going to lower volume with a portable, making it more difficult to drive from the low power opamps in portables.

The adaptor should only be used with an external amp that prefers 100 ohm loads.

With my EQ on on my iPod, the ety ER6is never get past the bare minimum volume. (volume all the way down is almost off, one notch up is a little loud in quieter situations).

I think the extra resistance is not a bad idea, it'll give you more control over the volume knob. I have a hand-made 75 ohm adapter, and it felt like there was a little bit of a dampener put on the music, but the highs remained the same. I think it just needs a little bit of "burn in", and then it'll get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back