Ety er6i vs. Koss ksc-35
Oct 21, 2004 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

adamofwales

100+ Head-Fier
Just thought I'd throw the topic out there.

I've recently purchased a 256mb iriver mp3 player, and I need some headphones.

My thoughts would be that the er6i would blow the ksc-35s out of the water in every possible concievable way.... Isolation - er6i fits inside of your ear, therefore bass, mids and highs all will be perfectly isolated, and as a result, detail should be very good.

ksc-35s.... I keep hearing many good things on this web site, a lot of people are recommending them....

So who has both?

Oct 21, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 17
They sound WAY different.

It probably comes down to a matter of preference.

The KSC35s will have forward mids and plenty of bass.

The ER6is will be bass shy, more neutral, and more detailed.

..but remember, you are comparing a $30 headphone to a ~$100 ear bud. There is a slight discrepancy...

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
They sound WAY different.

It probably comes down to a matter of preference.

The KSC35s will have forward mids and plenty of bass.

The ER6is will be bass shy, more neutral, and more detailed.

..but remember, you are comparing a $30 headphone to a ~$100 ear bud. There is a slight discrepancy...

Yeah, I know that there's a price discrepency, which is why I'm going to pass on the KSC-35s and save the $30 to go towards the er-6i (I came real close to getting a pair of the 35s though). And from what I've read already, the er6i is supposed to have better bass response especially out of unamped sources than earlier Ety versions. What I would be curious to know is if the bass in the KSC-35 is anything like the bass in a pair of Grado SR-80s. If it is, then sure there's going to be a lot of bass, but it's going to be undetailed and will clip alot at higher volumes.

I see you've tried out a ton of different headphones, how come no Etys though? Thanks for the feedback.

-aow

Oct 21, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 17
Adam,

Here's another suggestion...if you dig the idea of canalphones, but want the sound of the '35s, look into the Sharp HP-MD33s. Search the board for feelings on these. They're available for around $40 shipped from AudioCubes, and, take this from a '35 lover, they absolutely ROCK! Great bass, good mids and highs. I firmly believe they are a great compromise of price and sound for canalphones.

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check the Sharps out.

You know, I'm so tempted just to by a pair of the KSC-35s or 75s just to see what the s.o.b.'s sound like.

I just can't see there being any comparison to Ety er6i,'s but everyone on this board raves especially about the KSC-35 (over the 75), too bad it kills your ears fitting-wise.

I ordered the iriver ifp-190t off of amazon for only $115 with shipping. It's 256mb and even has FM tuner AND voice recorder which will also record FM. Fully supports MP3. Also, it actually comes with some Sennheiser earbuds, so I'm looking forward to seeing those.

The whole package should be arriving today via UPS. I'll let you know how things go.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 17
Check this out, the same driver Koss uses in the KSC35 they use in the R/200 and they consider this line of headphones the "Reference" series. The whole line of the R/XX is the reference series. I dont know if the other models use the same drivers but the R/200s i have do and they are the top of that series.

I wouldnt use a crappy driver with a crappy sound and build a "reference" series line around it if it didnt sound good. They really do, you should try a pair.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
Check this out, the same driver Koss uses in the KSC35 they use in the R/200 and they consider this line of headphones the "Reference" series.

Interesting info, I've have to really consider getting a pair of the KSC-35s then, just for experimentation of course.

Let me ask you something though, you say in your signature that you cannot recommend the ETY er6i's.

Could you go into more detail on this? You're the first review or comments I've read negatively towards the er6i.

What's wrong with them? Please do tell.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Well i typed out a long 3 paragrah thing about why i didnt like the 6i but my english, spelling and grammer is very poor. So basicly all i can tell you is that the 6i isnt the IEM for me and my setup.

Oct 22, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 17
Agreed, if you can deal with things in your ears, the etys are better. Don't let this bass-shy talk fool you. Live with the er6i's for a while, and then if you dig the sound, get an amp to open them up and they'll thank you for it.

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 17
No one is likely to mistake the KSC-35 for the Ety 6i. But each is a fine example of a reasonably priced, good-sounding, portable can.
The Koss gives the impression of more bass because its low end is "fatter" than the Ety's.
The 6i has more detail but could use a bit of help in the highs. Compared to the Koss, Margo Timmons of the Cowboy Junkies sounds closer and more in focus.
Of course, the Ety keeps you from hearing more outside noise. That may be good on an airplane, but not so good if you're at work.
Canalphones are harder to put in your ears and get right. I sometimes find myself connecting the 35s to the iPod because they're easier to put on, or I have to hear a phone or a co-worker or because I'm only going to listen to music for a few minutes and the 6i is too much trouble.
You really can't go wrong -- each, in its own way, is worth owning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back