Ety ER6?
Mar 24, 2002 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

davo

Head-Fier
Folks,

For you folks who have tried both the ER6 against the ER4P (with ER4S adapter?), is there a profound difference in sonic quality?

This seems to me to be a cost effective way to get into the Ety family.

I've got a Senn 580 enroute to me for at home usage and I use a Koss KS-C35 while out for walks and jogs. I'd like to use something with more isolation at the gym where there is the constant sound on the other equipment (treamills, bicycles and the clanking of weights as well as the piped in soft rock musak they play. Would the Ety ER6 fill the bill or will I be disappointed and stil lust for the ER4P/S?

Incidentally, I also have a Porta Corda coming from a fellow Head Fi'er so I can be "amped" if necessary.

I looked for reviews but came up short. If this has been discussed before, please direct me to the location for this discussion.

Thanks to all who can help in my quandary.

Mar 24, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Don't know what your experience will be but I'll share mine. I tried the ER6 for 26 days (thanks Headroom!). The experience was...acceptable for a compromise.

The isolation is decent when you get a good seal. However, getting a good seal is not easy. I belive Don Wilson from Etomotic has posted at this site that Ety is planning on modifying the seal mechanism after they found out that so many folks had difficulty getting a good seal. Once you get a good seal, things get very interesting. One of the times I had a good seal was while flying. Made life much more bearable. Weird to see mouths moving but not hearing anything come out!

The sound of the ER6 is good. There is decent bass extension, lovely midrange, but the highs are somewhat shrill/bright/sibillant. After hearing them and working hard to get a decent seal, I knew that there was only one alternative: ER4P. The sound of the ER4P/S is amazing! The detail is wonderful, the bass smooth, the highs crisp and fast. They've been the answer to upgraditis (at least, temporarily).

But, if you're looking for something for the gym, the ER4 may not be the right choice. Because they isolate so well, you tend to:

a.) not hear other people around you (which can be totally unnerving to have someone suddenlyly jump in front of your face, yelling to get your attention!)
b.) hear every motion/noise that your body makes! Plus, the cord will thump every time it touches you/your clothes/the equipment Not a great experience.

If you were looking for something that's an awsome auditory experience, ER4P (with the S adapter cable and amp) can provide it. If you're looking for something portable for the gym or while out and about, you might want to consider something like the Koss 35 or 50, Senn 500 MX, Sony MDR EX70, etc. They're generally cheap, sound decent, and you probably wouldn't mind losing them or breaking them.

Just my $0.02.

Bruce

Mar 24, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks Bruce. I appreciate your posting your findings. They are similar to those in the review referenced for me. I'm embarrased that I didn't find it as it appears clear as dau under equipment reviews under headphones. Don't know how I missed it.

At any rate, based on your inputs as well as the description in the review, I would ultimately want to upgrade to the 4P/S combo so I might as well wait a while and save a few more penies until I can handle the 4P's and the adapter cable.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back