Ety ER4P/S + large foamies = BASS
Nov 28, 2005 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

allenf

1000+ Head-Fier
I have received two packs of the large Ety foamies, and after trying them out was so impressed I thought I would post about it.
The foamies are BIG (standard black included for comparison):

foamies024lv.jpg

foamies016xq.jpg

Unless you have very wide ear canals you will not be able to insert them very far. This doesn't seem to matter as they form a perfect seal, expanding and forming a fluted shape around the ear canal entrance.
They feel a bit "I've got wine bottle corks stuffed in my ears" to begin with, but the pain does mellow out after a few minutes
biggrin.gif

Isolation is just incredible, noticeably quite a bit better than stock foamies or triflanges.
And the bass...solid, tuneful, extended, wow!
With the Etys in S mode from my SuperMacro I have always had the bass boost switched on...with the large foamies the thump is now slightly too heavy
eek.gif
, and to these ears sounds just about right with boost off.
If you love your Etys but are contemplating a change because maybe the bass feels a little too lean I would recommend trying these large foamies out first.

Nov 28, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Wow, those are huge. Won't people be a bit weirded out by huge yellow lumps coming out of your ears?

They'll give me more personal space on the train
biggrin.gif

Nah, I actually didn't notice with a casual glance in the mirror, tho' the barrels now stick out horizontally instead of a downward slant.

Nov 28, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 5
I found, that if I trim them with a very sharp razor, I can get better comfort out of them. The black foamies are the perfect size for my ears, although I do make them a bit shorter.
etysmile.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 5
I get unpredictable results/very short lifetimes with the stock foamies - a couple of days at 2 x 2 hrs per day and I can't guarantee a seal.
Before that I had used the same original triflanges for about 5 months: they wore out and I cannot get a seal at all with the second set of trifs that were in the box: it's like my original first set expanded to fit with use.
Also, perhaps I was looking for a slightly more relaxed and musical sound than the trifs. It's like one's attention flickers to and from different threads in the music very quickly, which is impressive if a bit amusical and not relaxing. The stock foamies create a more swinging musical presentation, but like I said I don't get repeatable results with the stock foams
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back