ETY ER4P replacements?
Jul 6, 2023 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Luke

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings! I was very happy with my ETY ER4P's. These were the older version with the red right side and blue left side. IIRC, the retail at the time was around $300 and I ended up paying around $150. I think I got about 20 years out of them after several hot glue repairs. Now I'm looking for a replacement. The ETY ER4XR's seemed like an obvious choice until I read some of the reviews. People are saying they are being delivered used pairs or refurbished pairs. Others are saying they only lasted a week before one of the channels started going in and out. So maybe Ety is not the way to go these days?

Does anybody have any guidance for me? If I could get something that sounded like the ER4P, I'd be very happy.

Thanks so much.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 6
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 6
ER3XR are pretty similar to ER4XR minus what Crinacle has tested out as neglible channel matching.
You can get them for $149 from Amazon with free returns.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-ER3XR-Extended-Response-Earphones/dp/B076652HPH?th=1

I got ER3XR from BHphotovideo.com on an email offer, maybe 2 years ago, and they've been fine.

Just buy from someplace with returns -- like Amazon -- in case there are quality control problem.
I agree about returns to Amazon. However, that's what causes deliveries of used/re-furbished ones in the first place. I've received many, many things from Amazon that were obviously used and re-packaged because of their very liberal return policy. I personally love their return policy. However, if the OP is worried about whether something is truly "new" when receiving it, choose a different source than Amazon.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Anecdotal, but I’ve never had Amazon ship me used stuff, and I’ve never ordered used stuff from Amazon before.

And all the Ety I have are fantastic.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah I think the risk from Amazon is they say it's new and it looks new but it's actually likely refurbished - because the seller is not Ety. Therefore, the quality of the product is potentially hit or miss. And this seems to be reflected in the Amazon reviews.

The ER3XR straight from the Ety site is looking better and better. :)

Thank-you

Edit: Ordered the above from the Ety site on Friday. It's now late Monday. Haven't heard anything from them yet other than they rcvd my order.

Edit x2: Okay, label was printed late Monday night. Should be here Thursday. :relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back