Ety er4p move to Atrio m5?
Sep 19, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd been thinking of getting the Atrios before I got the Denons, but was put off because I didn't understand the description of the Atrios bass. So that I know in future, can someone explain if 'boomy' bass means too 'loud' or 'overwhelming'?

Is 'boomy' a term that's considered negative when describing bass? I'm asking because in one thread, jinx20001 said the Atrios bass was too 'boomy' for him, and in another he said the bass was one of the best he'd heard from an iem. Does this mean 'boomy' can also mean 'good' depending on the style of music? Someone please explain 'boomy'!
confused.gif

Yes ...to anybody who perhaps enjoys bass-orientated music and appreciates the difference between good and bad quality bass sonics the word boomy is definitely negative...I think tstarn06 definition of quality bass being 'tight' rather than boomy is very helpful here. There is a world of difference for instance between the sound you would get from extremely cheap , bass heavy orientated headphones / iem 's and that of something like the Atrio M5. The prominence of the bass is still there with the M5 , but it is n't simply a big bass thud that overwhelms the rest of the sound spectrum. Its a prominent yet musical representation of the bass within the music. However , we all have our own particular tastes when it comes to sound...many people who enjoy music have difficulty with any kind of prominent bass. So to their ears , head-phones/iem's that are highly-regarded but have a distinctive bass quality (eg. Sennheiser HD650 , Beyerdynamic DT990 , Future Sonics Atrio M5 etc.) very often simply sound boomy ....regardless. Hope this helps...

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #32 of 37
subfocus, thanks, I understand better now! I think it was jinx who confused me about whether 'boomy' was negative or not, when he used the word negatively in one thread, 'too boomy' and then contradicted it in another by saying it was one of the 'best' bass representations he'd heard from an iem. That's why I questioned what 'boomy' actually meant.

After reading the explanations here, I now gather that if someone describes bass as 'boomy' it's not normally considered to be a positive attribute. Thanks for the tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was not blind promotion. Did you notice that I previously owned the ER4P/S and sold them when I compared them to the Atrio? I sat here for more than two hours, going back and forth, and came to the conclusion I preferred the Atrios over the Etys (which is what the original OP was asking, no?)

That's not a blind promotion; it was based on MY experience (albeit, it may not be on as high a level as others on Head-Fi). Again, in this specific case, I owned both phones, and prefer one over the other. Please try and understand that. It was not simply a case of me blindly saying people should choose the Atrio over the Etys. Same with your experience, right? You own both too, and you prefer the Etys on balance. However, I didn't make any comments such as "if you like antiseptic, relatively bassless sound, love vocals at the expense of all else, and want to buy 'big name' products only, then by all means, get the Etys."

Now that would have been wrong. See my point?

If language is a problem, maybe you didn't read my entire post or misunderstood my point. No way would I tell someone to choose one phone over another one if I haven't heard both. Obviously, I frequently offer my POV on the Atrios, but whenever the situation arises, I always say I have had no experience with the (fill in the brand here, Shure, UM, UE, etc.). I'd say that the best I can do. So no, the Atrios (at least in you view) are not the best headphones I have owned/tried. Peace.

Naaah, language isn't a problem. Maybe communication and reciprocal attitude, in a situation like this, and different paths on headfi.
I also think we should stop here about stating who started with an aggressive engaging, since all has been said (basically with the very first posts).

---

Definition of Boomy: KSC75 in my opinion was boomy. At the time, I quite liked that. I wouldn't call Atrio's bass boomy... it was a lot, "volume-wise".

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Naaah, language isn't a problem. Maybe communication and reciprocal attitude, in a situation like this, and different paths on headfi.
I also think we should stop here about stating who started with an aggressive engaging, since all has been said (basically with the very first posts).

---

Definition of Boomy: KSC75 in my opinion was boomy. At the time, I quite liked that. I wouldn't call Atrio's bass boomy... it was a lot, "volume-wise".

Agree on ending the back and forth. My last post was just responding to MaloS. I wanted to set the record straight that I did not "blindly" promote the Atrios.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #35 of 37
Fun thread. As much as I don't want to get dragged into the mudslinging, I have to say that I'm a long time Ety 4P fan who changed to the Atrios and hasn't looked back. I am most definitely NOT a basshead by any means, and I loved the clarity and detail of the Etymotics. I switched from the Etys to the Shure SE310 because I felt the Shures were a little better balanced and almost as good for detail. The switch from Shures to Atrios was a harder call, but as the Atrios burned in (I listened to them at about 15 hours and again at about 60), I found myself really enjoying them. Using foamies with the Atrios dampens the bass just a bit, and to be honest, I find the Atrios nicely detailed and balanced when it comes to vocals and high frequencies now. Not up to Ety par, but the sound mix is better overall, and there's a quality that I can't really define about the sound of the Atrios that I really like.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #36 of 37
After listening to the Etys and Atrios, I still prefer the overall presentation of the Etys. IMO, it has better mids and highs and far more detailed. Off course, sometimes I feel that I need more bass (I don't have a good way to boost bass on the Etys).
However, in my experience, using my DAP as source, instrument separation was better on the Atrios. To my ear the bass settled down after my ear adjusted to it, and it didn't overwhelm the rest of the spectrum anymore. Still, because I also listen to full-sized headphones, the bass on the Atrios keep me wanting for more as it is nowhere near the quality of the bass on a good full-sized headphone.
If you like your bass, smooth and laidback sound I'll say go with the Atrios, otherwise go with the Etys.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #37 of 37
Wow. I'm a very laid back guy, but this got on my nerves. I haven't tried EITHER of these IEMs but reading this thread is making me sick. anthonfirst's original comment was completely rude and mocking, obviously degrading anyone who preferred m5s to the etys. However, I understand that certain ears might not notice the same detail other ears with more experience can hear, but this point was also brought up in a completely derogatory manner. I know I'm quite new, but Malos and antonyfirst's arrogant, haughty manner is sickening to me. Get over yourselves and show some respect to other human beings.

Edit: Yes, I'm being rude. No, I don't care. This is ridiculous.

Edit 2: There are people with plenty of hi-fi experience that love these IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back