Ety ER4-S's can reproduce bass *impact*
Mar 30, 2006 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
For those doubters:

I just got the Hornet and Ety ER4-S and was alarmed that I was lacking bass bigtime. Now I had two new elements in my chain so I eliminated and experimented. Ended up concluding that if you feed the ER4-S a bassy signal, then they can reproduce it fine. Of course, if you boost the bass tooo much, you will loose the beautiful detail reproduction that they have. I find that on my iRiver H140, 14/24 is about right to bring the "impact" of the bass up to the level of the mids/treble. NB: The only reason I can use the ER4-S unamped from a portable is cos this particular iRiver has a huge output compared to a lot of other portables (at least, at the time it was released), and because I'm nearly always running off wall power. I daresay you'd get crummy battery life if you did it using battery power.

So yes the ER4-S may not have a purely flat response (what ear/headphone does), and it definitely leans towards brighter in the mids+treble, but the *detail* is there in the bass - you just need to give it a kick in the pants.

I'm also going to put Rockbox on the iRiver so I can fine tune to a higher degree what bass is being boosted, as the iRiver firmware only has bass/treble and a few other more 'gimmicky' tone controls.

I can't wait til my Hornet is burnt in. It's a too bright for me at the moment, which is what made me experiment with my signal chain. And yes, I believe the burn-in phenomenon. There's too many posts about it for it not to exist. I'll soon find out in about 12 days time (300 hours for the Hornet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back