Ety ER4 fixup.net replacement cord review
Mar 4, 2002 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MN Dan

New Head-Fier
I just got some Etymotic ER4-P’s a few weeks ago from Headroom.com. While they sound fantastic, they also left me sitting dead still for fear of moving the cord and creating the notorious cord noise. Plus, the fact that the original cord was pretty heavy and stiff was always leaving my ears fatigued after an hour or two (I listen to them at work).

I decided to order Xin Feng’s replacement cord (http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm) to see if it would help with the comfort level of my Ety’s. I got the ER4-P replacement cord (27 Ohm) with the resistors built into the Ety connectors. Well, to make a long story short the difference is stunning! I feel I can wear the Ety’s twice as long without any discomfort and there is absolutely no cord noise associated with moving your head around. None. Zero. You might look at the cord and say “yeah, but where is the clip for my shirt?” Sorry – you don’t need one anymore. I don’t feel any tugging feeling at all – it is as if my Ety’s were wireless. The cord is that good. The only thing I would change about it is that it is a little short (looks to be a little over 3 ft), but Xin told me that this is the only length that he could get this high-quality cord in.

In addition, Xin is a pleasure to work with. He said he will have no problem swapping my cord for one with more resistance if I decide to get an amp. He is also very helpful regarding which resistance to use for different CDP’s.

All in all, I am a very satisfied customer. If you have Ety’s, you need one of these cords. Period.

MN Dan

Mar 4, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes, it is flexible enough. You don't really need to wrap it up over your ear, though, since it is so light that you don't really feel any tugging even when it is behind you. The only issue with this might be the cable length, but an extension would certainly take care of that.

Mar 4, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Did you clip of the old cables and attach the new one yourself? I'm a little concerned that the experiment won't work out and I'll have trashed some expensive phones.

Mar 4, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 7
The stock Ety cable can be disconnected from the transducers. I don't have the replacement cable (yet) but it appears to be a plug-and-play replacement. However, I'm sure it's not something you want to do over and over again else you risk breaking the pins.

Mar 5, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Well...I just placed an order for the cables. I will be very excited if these allow me to lie directly on the side of my head in bed comfortably with the Etys in. Hopefully they sound about the same as the stock 4s cables too.

Mar 5, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 7
You won't want to be changing the cables too often, since it does require a fair amount of force to get them loose. One of mine came out fairly easily and the other one was quite a bit tougher. If I decide to turn my P's into S's, I think I will just get a go-between convertor cable since the new cable is a little short anyways.

beni - I don't know that you will be able to lay flat on the side of your head. The stems of the Ety's still stick out a bit. You will love the new cable though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back