ety er4 braided cable problems
Oct 5, 2004 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

enzoferrari650

Headphoneus Supremus
My er4p's braided wire have become to unwind at some points and I cant seem to braid them back. Anyone have this problem before? And what should I do?

Oct 5, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 19
Let's face it, as good as these things sound, they are not really built to last. I had a new pair that lasted a few months before one earpiece packed up and had to be shipped back to the States from England (at my expense) for repair. Then less than a year later the cable developed an intermittent fault and the only way to get it fixed was to, yes, you guessed it, send them back to the States at my own expense. I haven'y bothered and Etymotic have ignored my emails. This is a pretty poor record in my view. Now I see that the super-dooper new braided cable isn't up to it either - I think I'll stick to my old HD600's and try and find something more robust for outdoor use. These Etys cost too much to maintain.
mad.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 19
I'm sending mine back from AU sometime in the next week because within 2 months of getting them, both the left & right started intermittently failing (i.e no sound / so quiet it was inaudible at anything but the highest amp gain), the right started distorting at med-high volumes then eventually both stopped and didn't just come back to life as they'd been doing previously.

rolleyes.gif

Anyhow, is the braided cable worth getting at the $50 price tag?

Oct 5, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 19
Kuja: You might just need to replace the filters.

enzoferrari650: In fairness they honoured the guarantee and when I sent the Ety's back with the first fault they repaired them free of charge and paid the return carriage. They agreed to replace the cable this time for free too and pay the return carriage. My gripe is that it costs around £50 to send them back each time by an insurance backed courier, so I haven't sent them back for the second repair yet. Someone came up with an alternative cheaper insured way to return them, but I haven't looked into that yet. Etymotic haven't bothered replying to my emails from around Feb/March this year when I asked them to clarify what they were willing to pay for, so nothing is happening.

I really don't see why I need to pay over £100 extra to get Ety's that work, on top of paying Headroom around £220 for them (or thereabouts) when I bought them new a couple of years ago now.

Maybe I expect too much but, I have read on this board, and I don't know how true it is, that Etymotic have paid both way carriage from Australia for someone who didn't even buy them new, and apparently repaired them free of charge too. If this is true then the double standards are appalling. If it isn't true, it still makes it an expensive item to own with the carriage charges for all the repairs it seems to need.

Oct 5, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 19
I had a DOA right unit with very weak sound and it turned out to be the filter. I replaced it and the sound was excellent. I spoke to Ety and they shipped my some filters free of charge.

The braided cable is certainly less microphonic than the older style.

Simon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuja
I'm sending mine back from AU sometime in the next week because within 2 months of getting them, both the left & right started intermittently failing (i.e no sound / so quiet it was inaudible at anything but the highest amp gain), the right started distorting at med-high volumes then eventually both stopped and didn't just come back to life as they'd been doing previously.

rolleyes.gif

Anyhow, is the braided cable worth getting at the $50 price tag?

Oct 5, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 19
depeds what you mean by before and after. The wires from the mini plug to the y are braided but then its covered by heatshrink like material so it cant come apart. After the y, the cable is just braided without anything covering it.

Oct 5, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
Kuja: You might just need to replace the filters.

I wish it were that
frown.gif
After the second time I changed the filters, which only yielded temporary results, I realised there was no sound with filter in/out.

I think I'll have a hard time convincing them there's something wrong with the cans though coz 90% of the time they work perfectly, then there's an audible pop and I have no sound until the headphone-fairies decide to bring it back.

I can see this turning into a costly yet fruitless affair, when they put them in for 2 mins, go "yup, they're working", probably charge me then send them straight back.

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
So it's coming apart between the Y and the earpiece?

YES. i need help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back