Ety ER-6i upgrade: Shure e4c or Ety ER-4p?
Apr 28, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #16 of 52
ER-4p for sure. If you prefer the ER-6i before i think you will find the sound signature of the Shure's to be very different. They will be less clear and high. ER-4p is a considerable improvement over the ER-6i, one that you will appreciate to the highest degree. I made the jump a couple months ago. I was in the exact same predicament as you are in currently. I jumped on the ER-4p without a second doubt. One of the best decisions i have made.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 52
Yes, I agree with Jinx here. If you liked Etys then stay with Etys but to suggest that ER6i is even on the same level as E4 is downright laughable. Not even close. E4 destroys it in every area including highs. ER6i's highs are somewhat harsh and unrefined (unlike ER4P). E4 is basically a warmer and (slightly) bassier ER4P. Very appealing to many ears.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what exactly do you like about the e500 more than the er4p?? because they are so different its untrue!. plus how can the e4c be bottom when its a damn closer sound to the e500 than both er6 and er4, im confused.

Despite my personal leaning toward Ety sound sig, I respect E500 overall SQ benefits over ER-4P at the same time.

E4c is a bottom for me due to its SQ level (which is the roughly the same or a bit better to ER-6i), minus rolled off highs, minus details masked by warmth. ER-6i is not a superstar also, it is very aggressive, but I prefer it to E4c due to my listening habbits. Look, I use IEMs rarely, mostly for critical listening, like complex music or new gear checking, f.e. So I prefer revealing IEM to relaxed one. If I used IEM frequently, say for everyday commuting, then I'd probably changed my choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... E4 is basically a warmer and (slightly) bassier ER4P ...

I can not disagree more. Warmer and especially slightly bassier ER4P is a dream IEM for many. And E4c is not this dream.

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warmer and especially slightly bassier ER4P is a dream IEM for many. And E4c is not this dream.

ER4P are very neutral IEMs, and if you get the proper DAP or amp you will get a slightly bassier and warmer sound from them. I think Sony DAPs(A818/A729/A829) may be the best DAPs for ER4P unamped. They will drive them well, and the don't have the rolled-off bass the other DAPs have, so you WILL get bassier sound. Clear Bass is a great thing too. A818/A729/A829 tend to be a little bit on the warm side, so you will get warmth too. Thats easily altered by the test menu, where you can boost the bass with up to 10.5 db(and then add some Clear Bass for fine tuning) and you can even choose the frequency cut. That goes for treble, too, though you can boost it by 1.5db and choose the frequency cut too. Thats especially good for removing sibilance if your headphones are sibilant.

If you go amped(maybe later, as its pricey), I'll suggest a DAC/amp combo - Headamp Pico. It costs 500$(yeah, I know, but don't forget thats Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
) and will give you that slightly warm sound we're talking about, plus nice, tight and defined bass. ER4P really need good amplification, as they're basically a very heavy load - their cable contains a 25Ohm built-in resistor and the actual drivers have even lower impedance, so you need power in order to hear bass. While Sony DAPs do a great job, they can't deliver the maximum current needed by ER4P. Pico can do that, especially out of a DAP with digital out.

But the easiest way to add some bass and warmth to your Etys is to change the tips - try the Shure's black olives or some Comply tips. They'll show you the bass ER4P are capable of.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go amped(maybe later, as its pricey), I'll suggest a DAC/amp combo - Headamp Pico. It costs 500$(yeah, I know, but don't forget thats Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
) ...
But the easiest way to add some bass and warmth to your Etys is to change the tips - try the Shure's black olives or some Comply tips. They'll show you the bass ER4P are capable of...

Toxicsweet, it seems that you point these recommendations to me. Well, I do have some amps:
  1. iBasso D2
  2. Meier Move (weighty bass and slightly warm sound)
  3. Lunchbox II (tubes, even warmer)
and I am also awaiting this $500 Pico in 2 weeks (already paid). I hope it will not have "slightly warm sound we're talking about", since I prefer it to be neutral enough to manage with all the different cans I have.

I also tried all the tips available, including the latest Etymotic blue tips, which are better than those you recommended, and finally I've found that custom tips are the best. So I'll suggest them instead, they are expensive and bothersome to order (yeah, I know, but don't forget thats Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
)...

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Toxicsweet, it seems that you point these recommendations to me. Well, I do have some amps:
  1. iBasso D2
  2. Meier Move (weighty bass and slightly warm sound)
  3. Lunchbox II (tubes, even warmer)
and I am also awaiting this $500 Pico in 2 weeks (already paid). I hope it will not have "slightly warm sound we're talking about", since I prefer it to be neutral enough to manage with all the different cans I have.

I also tried all the tips available, including the latest Etymotic blue tips, which are better than those you recommended, and finally I've found that custom tips are the best. So I'll suggest them instead, they are expensive and bothersome to order (yeah, I know, but don't forget thats Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
)...

Nice amps, pal! Which do you like most(with ER4P)? Btw what portable source do you use?

No, I didn't point these recommendations to you, but to the OP. He seems to search for options below the 200-300$ threshold, and I think ER4P + olives/Comply tips will best fit his needs for now. I just elaborated a bit farther into the future, when he'll think about getting an amp or changing his DAP. Your words about bassier and warmer sounding ER4P were what I supposed he would want(as many people want it, including me) so I kinda started from there.

Btw, Pico is said to sound just a little bit warmer than neutral, while the Predator is usually referred to as neutral. Pico is on the top of my wishlist, as I want a little bit of warmth, not only neutrality. That little bit of warmth is quite seductive and adds some musicality and realness, which I definitely like for most of the music I listen to(apart from classics and electronic).

I didn't know about the blue Etymotic tips, thanks for mentioning them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Custom tips may not be suitable for young audiophiles(like me and possibly the OP) as their(our) ears change their shape faster than those of mid-age people. Also, if I'd bother with custom tips, I'd get Livewires instead of ER4P.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

I can not disagree more. Warmer and especially slightly bassier ER4P is a dream IEM for many. And E4c is not this dream.

E4 is no longer the flavor of the month but go back to 2005 when it came out (and before triple drivers) and you will see that it was ranked among the best single drivers and there were countless thread comparing ER4 to E4 and is was about a 50/50 split. Most people even preferred E4 to the $400 dual driver E5. There is no denying that E4 is fuller and thicker sounding than ER4. It also exhibits the same kind of neutrality, balance and control as ER4 and thhis is why it was so highly regarded. Once triple drivers came onto the seen it raised the bar to a whole new level.

We agree to disagree.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E4 is no longer the flavor of the month...

And ER-4S (or ER-4P plus p->s cable) is still among top IEMs.

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well technically the ER-4S is the flagship model.

Why would it be?
smily_headphones1.gif
If it is because it is flatter sounding, then you forgot the ER4B.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd say technically all three are sub models of the one same flagship model.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #26 of 52
ER4! Simply stunning. I haven't heard the Shure's yet, but I see no reason to. I LOVE my Ety's.

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 52
You could in the meantime contact etymotic and convince them to fix your ER6i. The customer service is outstanding, they may accept even if the warranty is beyond 1 year.
bises
MJ

May 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #28 of 52
Thanks everyone!

I purchased the ER-4Ps off ebay. Amazon USA wouldn't let me buy them because I’m from Australia? Anyway it was $100 cheaper than buying them here.

Thanks again for your advice!

May 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #29 of 52
congrats man!

a bit disappointed to find out amazon wont ship to aus...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back