ETY ER-6 vs. Sennheiser HD 280
Aug 19, 2002 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
I know these are totally different cans but I just took the plunge and ordered the ETY ER-6's. I can't afford the 4's so please don't even mention them. I will primarily use them as a portable can, but I was wondering if they will be good as a home can to hook up to my stereo. Or should I get a fuller sized phone like the HD 280 (I mention these because I have heard these a a good solid home can)? I bought the Ety's because I bought a pair of the Sony EX70's and loved the isolation. I have heard that the ETY's blow the EX70's away so I can't wait till they get here.

Aug 19, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 6
hmm. Tough question. The etys WILL blow the ex70s out of the water. Now, vs the 280s? Well, personally, I hated the 280s, and I sort of liked the er-6s. Not sure if that answers your question(it doesn't
biggrin.gif
). I'm just one of those people that hated the 280s. They just sounded so . . . wrong.

Aug 19, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 6
You might be able to get away with only the ER-6's, I just bought a pair last week, and I'm pretty impressed with them, having sold my Ety ER4-P's a few weeks ago. I don't think I could live with them as an all-purpose set of 'phones though, wearing them all of the time. They tend to get a little uncomfortable in my ears over time, but I can usually last a few hours at a time with them.

Do you have to have closed cans for at home use? If not, I'd recommend something like a pair of Grado SR60's. You can get them for $63 from Music Direct, and IMHO, you can't get better sound for the price. They definitely won't do if you need closed cans at home though. Maybe some Sony V6's for at home, they don't isolate as well as the 280's, but are cheaper, and to me they sound just as good.

-Keith

Aug 19, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by ultraviolet353
I will primarily use them as a portable can, but I was wondering if they will be good as a home can to hook up to my stereo. Or should I get a fuller sized phone like the HD 280 (I mention these because I have heard these a a good solid home can)? I bought the Ety's because I bought a pair of the Sony EX70's and loved the isolation. I have heard that the ETY's blow the EX70's away so I can't wait till they get here.

Point the first: yes, the Ety's blow the EX-70's out of the water. Good choice. Point the second: When I had the ER-6's, I was dissatisifed with their sound because I did not have a good source. My Panasonic 570 discman, though a decent sounding portable, really was not a good enough source to get a good sound from these headphones. They really cry out for a nice MD player with excellent sound or as home headphones. Which brings me to point the third: I think the ER-6's would be an excellent choice for a quality source and a dedicated amp at home. A nice CD player and a Cmoy or other DIY amp for these headphones would make a great budget home setup that will keep you happy for quite a while.

P.S. If you like the sound of the 280, I would seriously consider the Sony MDR-V6. This is a well respected can that I use constantly. Though is is a low impedance headphone, the more help you give it (i.e. good amp, better source) the more you get out of it. If you want another closed can for home besides the ER-6, I think the V6 would be a good choice.

However, for home use most people prefer an open can, since noise issues usually aren't as much of a concern, and open cans are generally able to take fewer compromises in terms of soundstage, detail etc.

All that being said, stick with your ER-6's for a few weeks, if not months at least until you decide that you need another headphone. I don't think you'll go wrong with them as an all-arounder.

Aug 19, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 6
congrats on your er6 purchase. some things to keep in mind:

-you may not get a good seal at first, but don't give up.

-try burning them in for a few days, this takes their edge away (mostly).

-you'll notice a lot more microphonic and bone induced noise. there is a simple mod to fix this.

-they benefit greatly from a good amp. i use a cha47.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back