Ety Er-6 or Sharp Md-33?
Aug 15, 2004 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Krishna

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a pair of canalphones as a sort of upgrade to my Senn PMX-60's (Which seemed to have burned in and sound alot better than before. More bass response).

I know that that Er-6 are more expensive than the Sharp Md-33 but you can get them refurbed for 85 with free shipping, whereas the Sharps would be 65-70 shipped to Canada through Audiocubes.

Basically I like clear, pretty detailed (doesn't have to be super anylitcal), sound, with deep, full, bass. I don't like the bass to be overpowering, but I still like to feel a thump here and there. I hear that the Er-6's are weak on the low end, but is this truly noticeable?

The Sharps are supposedly the best of the low-budget canals out there, and if I get them I intend to perform the great mod that Digdub concieved of. I was just wondering how the detail and clarity compared to the Er-6. Also wear ear plugs at work so I don't think comfort will be to much of a problem. The thing that is mainly keeping me away from the etys is the hidden costs of getting filters and foamies, etc.

I listen mostly listen to rock music: Ac/Dc, GnR, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Audioslave, etc...

I plan on getting the Cowon M3 as my source, but I will not be getting an amp.

I just would like to know if the Etys are worth the extra cash, or should I stick with the Md-33s.

Thanks for any comments.

Aug 15, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 13
Why not the Shure e2? They can be had for about 70, to 75 if you look around. Used is even cheaper if you're willing to go that route. Just another option.

Aug 15, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
Why not the Shure e2? They can be had for about 70, to 75 if you look around. Used is even cheaper if you're willing to go that route. Just another option.

Because Shures suck if you want detailed music. Shure = bass but no detail, Ety = detail but less bass. Wait for Ety 6is if you want bass. I prefer my EX71s to the Shure E3s I returned.

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 13
never heard the er6, but from what i know picking between them is like for lots of bass (sharp) or for very little bass (etymotic).

the shure e2c is have a little higher quality than the md33s to my ears, but not as satisfying souding since it lacks the treble power. it isolate much more than the md33s.

md33s have more balanced treble, but more bass power also. punchy low bass, lots of mid bass. it dont necesary overpower, but to me it takes most of the show. i like the fact that i has a good amount of isolation, but not way too much like the e2c.

from the price perspective, i'd rather take the er6, since i got mine md33s at $49. $70 might be too much.

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 13
The ER-6 has bass, but some people find the treble overbearing. The ER-6 has a reputation for not have a much of a visceral component to the bass, or the "thump". Also, the older ER-6 are not as easy to drive as other earcanal phones.

I don't know much about ther ER-6i, but that version may satisfy the bass requirement.

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 13
This may be partly due to my source (a Turtle Beach sound card), but the md33s have a lot of hiss which I blame on their low impedance of 16 ohms. I bought a RadioShack volume cable ($7) to add impedence and that did the trick. Since the ER-6's have an impedance of 48 ohms this probably wouldn't be necessary with them. Can anyone confirm this?

The md33s have a lot of warm but not muddy bass, maybe a little too much. The rest of the sound is good (not great, but good), and they're very confortable. Isolation is again good, not great.

I would also highly recommend the md33 mod, it's a noticable improvement.

Aug 15, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #10 of 13
The MD33 provides a nice bass and treble boost, so it's a quick fix if your portable sounds too dull for you (many iPod owners who were born and raised on Japanese equipment complain of this). Like most everyone said here, it may not be audiophile, but it's more than good enough on the casual side, and I haven't heard any hiss.

Cowon players, though, have got all these EQs and enhancers and BBE and what not on board, so you don't need the MD33.

Aug 15, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for the comments guys.

EDIT- I think I might just wait for the 6i's.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 16, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 13
I would try to wait for the er-6i, but some of us have been waiting for quite awhile for them to come out. Unfortunately, there is no clear cut solution for under $100 unless the Shure e2 satisfies your requirements.

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
I would try to wait for the er-6i, but some of us have been waiting for quite awhile for them to come out. Unfortunately, there is no clear cut solution for under $100 unless the Shure e2 satisfies your requirements.

No the shure E2c's are out of the question, as I have very bad comments about them. I might consider the E3c's though, as most people seem to like them, but I think that it would be best just to wait for the Er-6i's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back