Ety ER-4S Users - Question Please
Mar 12, 2008 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Frank_Zuccarini

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I own a set of Ety ER-4P earphones, and love them.

For a combination of reasons (money available, shorter length and straight mini-plug desired, possible SQ improvement), I am going to purchase a new cable from APureSound.

Both Alex and Heli from APureSound recommend the ER-4S cables, even though I explained that I use the earphones EXCLUSIVELY with a Cowon iAudio 7 DAP, WITH NO SUPPLEMENTAL AMPLIFIER. I am nervous because the Etymotic web site is very clear that they recommend the 4P (25 ohm resistor) in this situation, and the 4S (100 ohm resistor) for low power DAP's ONLY when using a supplemental amplifier.

So, I am soliciting advice from those of you who:

1) Own an Ety ER-4S, and

2) Use it with a portable digital audio player WITHOUT a supplemental amp.

If you meet these criteria, can you please tell me: Are you pleased with both the sound quality and volume from your ER-4S earphones?

Thank-you very much for your help.................Frank

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm using the ER-4S with my Cowon Q5W from the headphone out and they sound really good. I need to put the volume up to about 30 out of 40 for adequate listening levels (i wouldn't go any higher than that on my player). You should be fine using the S cable with the iAudio 7. It also gives you the option to amp it later on if you so desire to.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Tell him you don't want the 100ohm resistors.

Not only does this allow you to go portable but you can always get an impedance adapter later on if you so desire.

You can't tell me that he wont build it unless you get the S version?

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Thank-you, Guns, for your input.

So you think that I'll be fine, huh? I run my iAudio 7 at about sound level 25 now (out of 40 max), so going to 30 would be no big deal. However, I have no idea if the output levels of the Q5W are the same as on my I7.

Dear Mr. xnothingpoetic, I don't mean to imply that Alex will not build me the 'P' version. It's just that he recommends the 'S' version. So, are you telling me that you do have the ER-4S, and that you are displeased with their performance with a portable DAP? Do I understand that correctly?

Any other ER-4S owners care to chime in?

Again, thanks....................Frank

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank_Zuccarini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank-you, Guns, for your input.

So you think that I'll be fine, huh? I run my iAudio 7 at about sound level 25 now (out of 40 max), so going to 30 would be no big deal. However, I have no idea if the output levels of the Q5W are the same as on my I7.

Dear Mr. xnothingpoetic, I don't mean to imply that Alex will not build me the 'P' version. It's just that he recommends the 'S' version. So, are you telling me that you do have the ER-4S, and that you are displeased with their performance with a portable DAP? Do I understand that correctly?

Any other ER-4S owners care to chime in?

Again, thanks....................Frank

I have the P version AND an impedance adapter which "converts" it into an S.

I run it out of my h120 and even though I can get good volume with the S version, I still prefer the P version for portable use.

Here's the thing, say you think the S version will suffice from your portable DAP, but once you drop the $180(?) on it- well what if you find out that your DAP cannot drive it properly? What if you experience more hiss because you had to turn the volume up higher than with the P and there is less bass than before/ext?

Well then you are forced to buy an amp or to sell with a loss. This could have been avoided by getting it without the resistors and if you wanted to get an amp, or to try the S version out from your DAP- all you would have to do is buy/make a simple impedance adapter, which is completely reversible.

I think, in your case, the negatives can out weigh the possible positives of getting a permanent S cable.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 11
You make a very good point, xnothingpoetic. Thank-you for elaborating.

What do you think of the idea of putting a 75 ohm resistor in the earphone cable? This would be a 'custom' cable, but I believe that I've read on this fourm that some people prefer it to either the 25 or 100 ohm Ety models. I have a great sound system and another set of headphones at home, but when I'm in the gym (or traveling), I really don't ever want to be bothered with a supplemental amplifier. Just too much bulk for my portable music.

By definition, this would be a compromise, but isn't everything?

Thanks..............Frank

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 11
I bought my ER-4S and a Hornet M at about the same time around a year ago, so have never really listened to my ER-4S without a headphone amp very much. I recently sold my Hornet, and have lately been using the ER-4S straight out of my iPod and occasionally my Karma, and definitely prefer the Karma's SQ with the amp out of the picture. I can definitely get enough volume with the iPod, but the sound is not as good as it was with the Hornet at even very low volumes, which is how I prefer to use my IEMs. I would say my Karma does a good enough job with them that an amp isn't really a necessity, but with the iPod, it sort of is if you want to get every ounce of pleasure out of the ER-4S.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 11
Driving the ER-4S is no problem with the iAudio i7 from what I have read on this forum. I think one of the members actually use that exact combo. You should probably look at the "Pictures of my portable rig" thread I think he posted there.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 11
Okay, so two more folks saying that the ER-4S should work out just fine driven by JUST my iAudio 7.

I checked out the "Pictures of my Portable Rig" thread, but it is 45 pages long, and I really couldn't find the member referenced. After doing some more searching, however, I did find a member named 'GreatDane' who has a pair of ER-4P's, with the P to S adapter, and he seemed pretty happy with his iAudio 7.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Seems that I'll be pretty happy with the 4S cable.

Frank

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 11
Yes i would say you will be fine. However xnothingpoetic makes a very good point about being able to swap around the cable whenever you like if you were to use the adapter. Stilli think that sticking with the S cable is the way to go with a Cowon player as they have a very high output. If/when you buy a new DAP and you still have the ER4S (which i'm sure you will) then just make sure its power output is comparable to what you have now and you pretty much know that it will run fine
smily_headphones1.gif
Also the ER4S do not hiss with most players due to the 100ohm resistor.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 11
going from p to s is a good improvement in sound. but i think an aftermarket recable is just ridiculous. for how much it will cost, you could just get a brand new er-4s and sell the old 4p. i'm not denying that people hear a difference but the change is going to be miniscule if any at all.

i use the 4s unamped with sony nw-a1200 with no complaints. i don't like the sound of 4p as it's not as clean or neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back