Ety ER-4S...now I understand
Nov 10, 2001 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I returned home from a business trip today and found a package waiting for me. My Etymotics ER-4S' that I purchased from fellow Head-Fier phoneprone. I unpacked them but didn't listen to them until about an hour ago. I plugged them into my Red Penguin and my SL-CT470 and inserted them per the instructions. Surprisingly I think I got them properly seated and sealed after only a few tries.

Simply put, after listening to one CD (Spyro Gyra - Road Scholar), these things are amazing. I think it will take a while to get used to the feeling of them in my ears, but they sound fantastic. It is difficult to understand how they can sound so good, and yet be so small. But I do understand why people praise them so much. They will be perfect for my travel rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2001 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 54
Welcome to the club - I'm pleased you like them. One thing I have found with the ER4's is that you shouldn't insert them too deeply in the ear - just aim for a really good seal and neutral pressure.

Interestingly since getting custom earmoulds for them I now put them in a lot deeper than before but I don't feel bunged up with them and they sound unbelievable.

One of the main things that the earmoulds seem to offer is a consistant left and right sound pressure - the balance is perfect. Bass goes deeper and is more defined but, like any good system, you only know there's bass when it comes.

Enjoy.

Nov 10, 2001 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 54
Welcome to the club, JMT
wink.gif
They really are amazing, assuming you can get the fit right.

The clock starts ticking down for Jude to get a pair...
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2001 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
[size=xx-small]...All the praise they get puts them at the top of my list for my next 'phones...[/size]

Me too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2001 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

what does your "travel rig" consist of?

1. Panasonic SL-CT470
  2. Black Penguin amp
  3. Red Penguin amp
  4. Sony V6s
  5. Senn MX500s
  6. Ety ER-4S
  7. Usually about 10 CDs

Nov 10, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 54
JMT, what's the difference between the black & red penguin amps (besides the color)?

Also, congrats on the Etys. It really is astonishing to think something that small produces such great music, but indeed it does. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to get me some custom earmoulds.

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 54
So you finally did get them...told you they were going to be amazing
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. Now you know why I gave my spanking new Grado 325's to my dad
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Team Etymotic lets go forth and kick some booty
smily_headphones1.gif

Muhahhahaahahhahaha
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Tell us more of what you think of the etys
smily_headphones1.gif

We want a JMT review
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2001 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 54
Team etymotic... probably the most prestigious team there is
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome JMT
smily_headphones1.gif

It makes me wonder though, if it is even possible for Etymotic to release a new reference phone...

Nov 10, 2001 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 54
chych: There's always a way.............especially if you're an audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back