Ety ER-4P v Shure E4...need your experiences!
May 4, 2006 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nm2285

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about changing from the ety er-4p to the shure e4. I need to know which you all think fits my preferences better (since I can't try out the e4 first). In order of preference in sound signature (not sound quality), i've owned:

Fav --> less preferred
AKG K701, AKG K501, Beyer DT880, Senn HD580

I tend to love a neutral revealing sound. Bloated bass and sharp highs are a huge turnoff for me, as are "forced" or unnatural mids. I enjoy the ety's, but sometimes their treble and somewhat artificial sound gets to me.

Does anyone think the Shures may be an improvement over them or would they bother me but in different ways?

-Nick

May 4, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nm2285
Does anyone think the Shures may be an improvement over them or would they bother me but in different ways?

The E4's do sound different, but I wouldn't bother changing the 4P for the 4C. The 4C adds more mid presence which is its main strength. The highs might be a bit cleaner, but they are also a bit more relaxed which may not be the direction you want to go, the 4C is still all about the mids. To me, it's more or less a sideways trade.

I'd go a lot more upstream if I were to upgrade from my 4S....the only change worthwhile for me is the E500 at this time.

May 4, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 7
I went from my ER-4S to E4's, and am really pleased with the change. I lost a little detail, but also lost the treble harshness, gained a lot in the mids, and gained a little bit in the bass area. I'd say that the E4 is much better balanced than the ER-4, and ended up being a much more satisfying IEM.

In terms of full sized headphones, I'd say the E4 is closer to the AKGs (great mids) and the ER-4 is closest to the DT-880 (higher resolution, but somewhat thin and harsh).

May 4, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I'd go a lot more upstream if I were to upgrade from my 4S....the only change worthwhile for me is the E500 at this time.

Skip the E5C and go for E500? I'm hoping the E5C will drop in price with the introduction of the E500.

May 4, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Skip the E5C and go for E500? I'm hoping the E5C will drop in price with the introduction of the E500.

I definitely would, the E5C doesn't do it for me. It still sounds too recessed in the highs for my taste. Initial reports of the E500 seem to indicate its performance is UE10 level, the E5 was never in that league.

May 5, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 7
I don't think changing to the E4 will satisfy you. Just like what warpdriver said, the E4 has forward mids just like the highs of ER4P. If you're looking for a balanced sound (like the K701), going up straight to E500 or UE10 might be a better decision
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back