Ety ER-4P/S Tips - In Search of the best...
Jun 7, 2007 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tracyrick

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for specific advise on ER-4P/S tips.

The tri-flanges fit me great but the black foamies isolate and sound a little better. However, I hate rolling the black foamies and waiting for them to expand and they feel like sandpaper and don't seem to last very long.

I've seen two alternate ideas so far that sound promising:

1. Cut the tri-flange down to a bi-flange
- How do I do this exactly (which end to cut) and what will the effect be? This will be a quick, cheap experiment, but a little know how from someone could still help me.

2. Shure PA910M Replacement Black Foam Sleeves (Medium).
- These sound like better foamies. Smoother, not like sandpaper and last longer. Can someone confirm if they fit the ER-4P/S and if you like them better than the black foamies?

Any other ideas or tips that someone really likes?

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 21
The black foams sound much better than the triflange, even with a good seal. It depends on many factors, like the foam itself and the diameter of the tube. I've tried also the biflanges, but foam still sounds better.
I suggest you to try the Shure black foam sleeves, that I'm using right now: they sound very, even if they isolate a bit less than the Ety's foamies. The Shure's are more comfortable and seal faster. Highs are less sybilant and soundstage is somewhat improved, because of the particular shape of the top of the foamies.

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 21
I have a hard time inserting the foam without the plastic middle scraping my ear, but when they are in, they sound the best. Agreed that sure foam is better.

Comply tips are great all around, but the problem I've had is sometimes the tip will fold over and muffle the sound.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a hard time inserting the foam without the plastic middle scraping my ear, but when they are in, they sound the best. Agreed that sure foam is better.

Comply tips are great all around, but the problem I've had is sometimes the tip will fold over and muffle the sound.

The Shure don't have this problem.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 21
OK. So just to be double sure, the Shure black foam sleeves fit teh ER-4S, no problem?

Going to drop my $15 Amazon order when someone says yes to the above question.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 21
The shure black foamies are awesome. I use only them with my ER4Ss.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure don't have this problem.

Agreed - I was refering to the other about the scraping problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. So just to be double sure, the Shure black foam sleeves fit teh ER-4S, no problem?

Going to drop my $15 Amazon order when someone says yes to the above question.

Yes
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 21
Rock on! Thanks guys.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed - I was refering to the other about the scraping problem.

Yes
wink.gif

Sorry to ask but you do know about rolling the foam to compress it before you insert it, right?

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 21
Yep.
I'm trying to find the thread/info. about whether the shiny part of the black foamie goes toward the ear or toward the earphone. I thought shiny part toward the earphone but I think you said the opposite in a thread I can't find now. I went to the Ety. site but can't find it there.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 21
Just another opinion here. I have tried many tips with the er-6is. Bi, tri, foam, comply and the best I have found in terms of sound has been the Shure Soft-flex in small. To me it gives a much less compressed presentation, something that the more bassy biflanges really lacked. Just another choice for ya. Off ebay for about $10 a package.

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 21
Finally I'm happy, using the ER6 bi-flanges on my ER4s. They fit me just right, and they're softer than the tris. I tried everything except small comply tips, including cutting off one of the tri-flanges, different foam tips, and Shure's soft ball-shaped plugs. What I've decided from reading different versions of this thread over and over, from different people about once every two weeks, is that each person has something that works best for him, and the only way for YOU to find out is to try them all for yourself, so that's what I did.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 21
ETY8 ones fit the ER4 and dont dig the ear on insetion like the foams that come with the ER4s. They are also more neutral sounding to my ears, like the triple flanges. The er4 foams sound a little hot in the upper mids to my ears compared to the triple flanges or ETY8 foams.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 21
I just got the Shure black olives and while they're *alot* more comfortable than the Ety black foamies I'm not yet sure whether I like what they're doing to the ER4 sound sig or not. Less highs and in return maybe the bass gets a bit more emphasized. At first I thought: "oh, this is nice" but after a while I noticed there's also less detail (it's not earthshattering - more like different). Hmm, guess I'm picky.
tongue.gif

By the way, does anyone have any problems with the tip of the Shures pinching together to block out sound when inserted? I'm just wondering if this might be the cause of less emphasized highs/detail.

Anyway, all in all I think I'll try the Shures again because of the comfort and ease of use.

What worried me, though, was that I needed a lot of force to apply/remove them to/from the nozzle... It won't break, will it...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back