Ety ER•6 Dome-Tip Mod
Mar 16, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 14
Maybe you should put the time and money you're putting into modding the ER-6 to better use, like, upgrading to ER-4P/S.
wink.gif

Cool mod though.

Mar 16, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 14
thanks fiddler!

this mod cost me nothing except some ex70 tips i was not using and a pair of ety foam tips--and some time of course. but time spent operating on my headphones for the benefit of mankind is time well spent imho. plus it is fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

there will be an er4s in my future, but it will be for home use. the er6 is very well suited for portable, with it's lower profile and stronger metal construction, so there is room for both in my collection.

another benefit i discovered using the ex70 dome tips is that bone induced noise (i.e. you can hear your footsteps while walking) is greatly reduced.

Mar 17, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 14
another addition to this mod is cutting the clear rubber tube all the way down to where it opens wider, and using 2mm cube of foam instead of 1mm. man, i had no idea the ety er6 could put out so much bass. i think getting rid of the tube bottleneck is the key here for that bass.

why mod the er•6 instead of buying the er•4p/s?
the er•4p/s uses the same foam and the pvc tips, which are still tricky to insert and frankly hurt my ears. i am not denying the 4p/s is the superior phone, but at also more than 2x the cost. the foam of course for me is better, but i still have to roll it in my fingers which introduced grit into my ear canals, especially if you are like me and take public transportation--i keep my fingers away from any part of my head until i can get some soap and water. the ex70 tips go right in without touching them at all. the point of this mod was mainly to use the super-easy ex70 tips without losing the seal. and it works like gangbusters. i hope someone take a few minutes and tries it for themselves. if you do, please post your impressions here. i'm interested in your opninions.

well, it looks like this thread is sinking without a trace, like most of the mods i post here.
rolleyes.gif
i'll just add some keywords if someone in the future decides to look for er6 mods.

keywords:
etymotic
er6
er-6
er 6
er•6
sony
ex70
ex-70
ex 70

thanks for looking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 14
I am quite interested in this mod, as I am (hopefully) buying an ER-6 in the next week or so. Since I don't happen to have a pair of EX70 dome tips laying around, is there something else I could use or perhaps a place that sells them for a reasonable price? Any other ER-6 mods that are worth looking into?
Thanks,
Ben

Mar 18, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks! This sounds like a great mod, as my gfriend doesn't really like the silicone flange tips of the ER-6s.

However, I do not have a pair of EX-70s to get the tips from.

IF I bought a set of EX-70s, do they come with extra tips? Or would I have to sacrifice a set of EX-70s for the tips alone?

Mar 18, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by benklop
I am quite interested in this mod, as I am (hopefully) buying an ER-6 in the next week or so. Since I don't happen to have a pair of EX70 dome tips laying around, is there something else I could use or perhaps a place that sells them for a reasonable price? Any other ER-6 mods that are worth looking into?
Thanks,
Ben

you might contact sony for them, but i would first ask around here. i'm sure someone has an extra pair and you'll find people are very generous around here. however, you first must know what size you wear, small, medium or large?

also, i believe aiwa makes a similar rubber dome tip canalphone similar to the ex70 but cheaper. there is also a newer, cheaper version of the ex70 out, but i don.t remember the name.

for another of my er6 mods check out the earhugger mod.

i did some hiking around today with my er6 + dome-tips and it was great not hearing every step i took: no more bone induction.

Apr 1, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
Any type of ex70 dome tip will do right? like the ex70SL? I'm going to mod my ety er4s.

any size ex70 dome tip will work if you follow the directions. good luck and post your impressions.

Apr 2, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
I have the er4s. I don't know where to find " a small cube of open cell foam (from stock headphones foamies, about 1mm squared)" Is this only in the er6s?

items needed:
- ety er•6 foam tips
- sony ex70 rubber dome tips (any size that fits your ear opening)
- scissors or razor blade
- a small cube of open cell foam (from stock headphones foamies, about 1mm squared)

these are what i'm talking about:
hogwildstore_1731_35627008

just regular old headphone pads.

try it with the er4, with and without the cube of foam. i added this to the er6 because it cuts down on the etched treble, and i believe the shorter tube length increases the treble too much. i can't say for the er4, i only own the er6. please post your results. thanks.

Apr 21, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 14
I am happy to try this, but I am worry about broking my the only one pair of foam tips. It is not easy to get a new pair of foam tips in Taiwan.
mad.gif
mad.gif

So red can you post some pictures here, pictures will really help...
Cos I don't understand this description "place the small 1mm cube of foamies in side the base of the clear rubber tube"...
confused.gif
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back