ETY E6i VS E2cs/gs
Apr 6, 2006 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Karim

100+ Head-Fier
I am about to purchase the ETY er6i and was wondering if the sound for them ae similar to eh E2C or is there a major difference. I was very disappointed with the E2C and am hoping the er6i will not be the same or similar in sound as the shure e2c.

Also, looking to buy some flanges or foamies or whatever it is that i would need for the er6i in Toronto. Any local place where i can pick it up? I need it asap as I am leaving for my trip soon and getting it online will not help as they may not arrive on time.

Thank you.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 14
Totally different. Like night and day.

ER6i has much less bass but much greater detail and highs. Most people consider the ER6i a step up from E2's but if you really dig the E2 bass you could be dissapointed.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 14
Completely different. ETY's are "OK" in the bass department, not great, but you'll get detail in the highs and mids that you never knew existed.

If you truly want more bass and are willing to sacrifice a little of the ETY detail, the Westone UM1's aren't a bad compromise for around the same money.

If you guys have an Apple store, they are known to carry the ETY's, but I'm not sure about accessories. Guitar/music stores might be able to help you out as well. There's a slim chance that the local big-name electronics dealers MIGHT have something to help you out, but I wouldn't count on it.

Good luck, and enjoy the insanity!

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 14
Sorry for your wallet karim.

The Er-6is are a good choice instead of the partially muddy E2cs. If you like the clarity over the strong low-end then you'll love the ETY, as well as the higher 4 series. Otherwise you may want to examine other offerings by shure (E4/E5/E500). Westone may be a decent choice as well, but some complain of even weaker low ends then the ETYs.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 14
The 6is are great phones, and have amazing clarity. A lot of people complain that they are bass shy, however that's not entirely the case. The etys are very dependant on the quality of the seal you get with them. With a bad or mediocre seal, you'll get a thin sound. Fully sealed, they are second, only to the er-4ps. If you go for the etys, make sure to try all the tips, till you find the right fit. Etymotic will send you more tips to try, if you contact them. They've been very helpful for myself and other members here.

If you're looking in the lower end price range, you might like the UM1s. My first impression of them was muddy, but once they were amped, the sound changed dramatically. I actually used a 75ohm resistor in line, with them, and combined with the amp, they are now my main phones.

Oh, and being one of the people on here that have heard the e500s, I'll throw my opinion out there. They were impressive, and I did think they were an improvement over the e4. They had the clarity that was missing from the e4, but I think they also bloated the bass too much. If you're a big bass fan, you'll probably like them.

Sound signature, is a very personal preference, so it's difficult to say that there is only one best headphone or iem. Each person will prefer the one that fits their listening enjoyment the most.

good luck
-Jeff

good luck
-Jeff

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 14
cpused.com has ety accesories. give them a call and find out.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 14
Thank you for the ssuggestions guys, i will be getting the er61 then. The E500 will be completly out of my range and my fiancee would kill me if she found out that i was willing to spend over $300.00 on headphones. Not that i would ever tell her how much they cost nor would she ask but just in case.

Anyways, i will be picking up the er-6is tmw, Friday, and will update every1 as to what I think of them. Hopefully they will not disappoint me as I need these with me for the long boring plane ride. Hate Flying, not scared of flying, i find it so damn boring!!!!

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 14
Kairm, glad to see you finally made your decision to by the Etymotic ER-6i based on your discussion in another thread. I also bought my for use on an airplane, but I have yet to test them out. I have also used them for my daily commute and it does a good job of isolating noise on the train and platforms.

I perfer the foamines myself, but the flanges do an excellent job of isolating sound.

Are you getting the white or black ones? I think the Apple Store in Yorkdale Shopping Center has the white ones.

biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 14
they have em at yorkdale? how much are they? I am gettting a used pair from someone from this forum. It's the white ones thought i am getting. I wanted the black ones to match my nano but white one's will be alright i guess.

Iw ill check the store at yorkdale too. Usually, with the headphones i would prefer to buy brand new ones but since they are so expensive i decided to buy the used just in case i dont like them.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
UE-10

Better than the E2c and the ER-6i combined!

yeah and its like 10 times the amount i would have to spend. I dont even wanna spend more than $200.00 and these babies are like $900.00 if I am not mistaken. I would never ever spend so much on headphones, but thanks for the tip.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Yes, call first. The Apple stores in Chicago had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about ER6i's even though they are listed in the online Apple store. But they had plenty of Bose Triports in the store for sale.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 14
the ER6i's sound amazing. For everyone that says they lack in bass, i'm thinking maybe it's not completely inserted?? i only feel the lack of bass when i use the Tri-flange or shure rubber tips because i dont feel a complete seal, however when i use the Bi-flange, everything sounds so much more clear, including a better bass response and a better seal.

i find that the foamies didn't fit too well for me either, despite a majority of people perferring foamies > flange tips. Only thing that seems to fit my preference is the Bi-flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back