Ety 6i's - Just how important are the filters?
Oct 31, 2008 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

electronicmaji

100+ Head-Fier
I have so much earwax accumilation, I swear I'm going throught filters like crazy, nearly 3 a month. Its driving me crazy. Do I really need to keep buying these things, is there a major disadvantage to punching them out?

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 9
You kind of need them because the filters shape the frequency response. I think you get a 5 dB hump somewhere around 5 kHz without the filters, which doesn't sound very pleasant. I guess you could try to replace the filters with nylon socks, foam, or other popular DIY filter equivalents. Another option would be to try and reuse your filters by nondestructive removal and washing them in hydrogen peroxide. Or you could write to etymotic and explain your situation and ask if you can get a discount if you buy a lot of filters?

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicmaji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have so much earwax accumilation, I swear I'm going throught filters like crazy, nearly 3 a month. Its driving me crazy. Do I really need to keep buying these things, is there a major disadvantage to punching them out?

All the more reason why you need the filters in there. You don't want the earwax to get into the drivers and permanently damage/block them. You should be able to unblock the filters by removing them and spraying some cleaning alcohol or even contact cleaners onto them to remove the blockage.

Cheers!

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 9
I had my ER6i for more than 1 year, replaced the filters just once (just for fun) dont really needed to and i generally use them everyday at work.

But yes the filters are very important to smooth the sound out and keep ear wax out, and they dont particularly sound great once there is no filter.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my ER6i for more than 1 year, replaced the filters just once (just for fun) dont really needed to and i generally use them everyday at work.

But yes the filters are very important to smooth the sound out and keep ear wax out, and they dont particularly sound great once there is no filter.

I concur. They are vital for proper sound output, but I never felt the need to change them. Maybe I don't build up too much earwax.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 9
I find using q-tips to swab out the earwax every few days keeps the tips very clean, nothing but a little bit of oil on them, and never any solid actual earwax that might get down to the filters and mess them up. You shouldn't be replacing them as often as you are, mine look brand new after a couple months.

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by majurglery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, im a person who naturally has a lot of earwax, and now, after ruining a few pairs of IEM tips with wax buildup, I regularly clean my ear w/q-tips, and now i dont have any wax problems.

hahah ive sort of have a habit now, cleaning my ears... every once in a while sitting down in the car, or in the office, there i just did it again cant help it. When ever oppourity persists :p and yes i can pick up some wax, and thats why my flanges are yellow have to clean them often as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back