Ety 6 or 6i?
Dec 4, 2004 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Oink1

Headphoneus Supremus
See sig for current portable setup
smily_headphones1.gif
Given my iPod is amped would you think i'd be better off with the ER6's (£99) or the ER6i's (£119).Any opinions/alternative suggestions would be much appreciated fellas (and laydeez!)
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
See sig for current portable setup
smily_headphones1.gif
Given my iPod is amped would you think i'd be better off with the ER6's (£99) or the ER6i's (£119).Any opinions/alternative suggestions would be much appreciated fellas (and laydeez!)
biggrin.gif

Go with the ER6i.. They are suppose to be a improved version of ER6 with more bass.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool
Go with the ER6i.. They are suppose to be a improved version of ER6 with more bass.

I thought they were designed to be used un-amped though - I don't like the idea of my music being 'messed with' unless it's under my controll
etysmile.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
I thought they were designed to be used un-amped though - I don't like the idea of my music being 'messed with' unless it's under my controll
etysmile.gif

I have the er6i and i tried them on amped...my god..the bass is so amazing and clear (im a 71s bass sound lover) they need more power, the only down side to this is i got dissapointed in my 4g ipod
frown.gif
hope this helps

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by msflsim
I have the er6i and i tried them on amped...my god..the bass is so amazing and clear (im a 71s bass sound lover) they need more power, the only down side to this is i got dissapointed in my 4g ipod
frown.gif
hope this helps

'On amped'? - is this amped or un-amped? I listen to a lot of bass driven music (rap,dance etc) if this has any bearing on peoples opinions...

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 15
The ER6 are definitely edgy in the highs (with about 20% of my CD's, the edge to the highs takes me out of my comfort zone, but not quite into actual harshness). From Scrypt's comparison of the ER6 to the ER6i, the 6i seems to NOT have the hump in the highs that gives them that edginess. The ER6 are also fairly light in the mid-bass to bass region (my main cans are the AKG K501, so I am NOT a bass-seeking listener). To say that the ER6i has more bass says to me that they are more balanced than the ER6. Given the limits I hear in the ER6, and from the descriptions that Scrypt and others have given of the ER6i, it seems to me that the ER6i would be the more balanced of the two (ER6i, ER6). The ER6 are somewhat colored toward the highs. It takes some equalization for me to fully enjoy my ER6 (to lower the treble hump and to bring up the bass to mid-bass region). And this is with a Go-Vibe fitted with either OPA627's or a OPA2227, both of which are darker than the AD8620 in your Go-Vibe.

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
The ER6 are definitely edgy in the highs (with about 20% of my CD's, the edge to the highs takes me out of my comfort zone, but not quite into actual harshness). From Scrypt's comparison of the ER6 to the ER6i, the 6i seems to NOT have the hump in the highs that gives them that edginess. The ER6 are also fairly light in the mid-bass to bass region (my main cans are the AKG K501, so I am NOT a bass-seeking listener). To say that the ER6i has more bass says to me that they are more balanced than the ER6. Given the limits I hear in the ER6, and from the descriptions that Scrypt and others have given of the ER6i, it seems to me that the ER6i would be the more balanced of the two (ER6i, ER6). The ER6 are somewhat colored toward the highs. It takes some equalization for me to fully enjoy my ER6 (to lower the treble hump and to bring up the bass to mid-bass region). And this is with a Go-Vibe fitted with either OPA627's or a OPA2227, both of which are darker than the AD8620 in your Go-Vibe.

Thank-you
smily_headphones1.gif
This is the kind of info i was seeking! Is there a thread tou can link me to sbulack?

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 15
the main problem i had with them at first was getting the right fit..honestly when i first got them i was dissapointed..but now im learning how to get a good seal, isolation is everything with er6is..but i also realized that they sound better if played thru my creative p580 headphone jack..i did some testing with bass (woofer) testing files, and i was blown away..
bottom line is..
1.practise your seal to be perfect
2.listen to tunes that are quality produced
3.give a bit of time for your ears to "learn" how these sound..

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 15
I just got the 6i's, and after you figure out how to put them in, I ended up liking the flange tips because they go in and out faster. Im running them unamped out of my mp3 player and they have a very balanced sound, but I put them in the headphone jack of my big home amp and it is possible to get some good clean bass thumping action out of them. I have a real headamp on the way, and I imagine it will have the same effect.

I also agree that it takes a bit of time to adjust your ears to them, I like the sound more and more everytime I put them in. I find them fine for walking too.

Dec 6, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 15
try a search. i remember some posts from plainsong about 6is with an amp. i have the 6is and a superdual. there's definitely a jump in the lower end with the amp. but i'm not a basshead, so there's no way i can tell you whether the effect would satisfy you. also i don't use the 6is much with the amp; i bought them to enable maximum mobility, which means no amp most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back