Ety 4SII (suggestions)
Jul 20, 2002 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
How about a 1/4" plug on the end of the next version of the 4S? It's going to be used with an amp right? And a Longer less microphonic cable.

Jul 20, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 16
Is it that hard to slap on the 1/4 adapter?
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by erikiksaz
tongue.gif

some say sound quality is degraded with an adapter. meh.

Are they making new etys?

Jul 20, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by erikiksaz
tongue.gif

LOL
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 16
As I have yet to recieve my 4s, I am assuming the 1/8" plug is your everyday, run-of-the-mill jobs, in which case, it should be easy to replace with a 1/4" of your choice. And ideally, you don't want any unsoldered contacts.

Jul 20, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
How about a 1/4" plug on the end of the next version of the 4S? It's going to be used with an amp right? And a Longer less microphonic cable.

this is a portable headphone first and formost, and most people buying them will not be using them with an amp (keep in mind that we're not like the average customer that etymotic gets. the same goes for HD600s: most people who own them do not own an amp). So a 1/8" plug is definitely the best plug for etymotic to have on the ER4S. And if they could build a cord that was less microphonic than their current cable yet was as light and sounded just as good at the same time, I'm sure they'd use it. I remember Don Wilson talking about the ER4 cord one time and saying something like that.

besides, I doubt etymotic needs these suggestions
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 16
Neradu I disagree, I think anyone not using an amp would logically get the 4p version, so why shouldn't 4s be the reference version?

Biggie.

Jul 21, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 16
you have to remember that we don't reprisent the average buyer, biggie. I'm willing to bet that most of the ER4S owners out there have never even seen a headphone amp. Instead they're just plugging them into their CD players (or whatever) and listening without a care. Etymotic knows that if they put a 1/4" plug into the ER4S, they might lose customers who don't want to use their headphones with an amplifier. it's true that many people might buy the 4P instead of the 4S, but who knows? Even if you're right, the only portable amps I can think of that have 1/4" jacks are the supreme, the cosmic, and maybe some META42 models. the airheads, the porta-corda, and the mint tin amps all have 1/8" jacks (and are much more portable). I think it would make a lot more sense to keep the 4S designed with portable use in mind, and not home use, since that's where more people use them. Does anyone here really think that using an adapter makes an obvious difference? Because I don't, personally. (I believe that it does make a difference, but that difference is extremely negligable.)

Jul 21, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 16
I'm just thinking of stepping it up a notch to higher audiophile levels. I don't want to replace the the current 4 line. I'm just saying it would be a nice option.

Jul 21, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 16
I gotta agree with neruda here (I know...I'll never do it again...). I personally prefer the miniplug on it with a 1/4" adapter. This enables more flexibility in home/portable usage. Since I would imagine almost everyone uses Etys at least occasionally on the road, it's much more convenient to have them default to a miniplug than with a 1/4" and a bulky adapter. I personally don't find any degredation in sound. Even the stock HD600 cable comes with a 1/8" plug.

Now, what would be a cool option is an upgraded cable, with all the fixings. Now there I would expect a 1/4".
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 16
Yes, i don't think we should depend on Etymotic to make an audiophile approved cable as they have not expressed interest. THis is where diy and aftermarket cable makers should come in.

I just ordered the Fixup replacement and hopefully that should bring an improvement in sound, not to mention microphonics. I have read that moving the resistors to the plug may help the sound, I will see if this could be possible when I try my new cable from the fixup dude.

I would be interested in some of the more diy-minded folks on this board trying some home brew cables to see what sort of sound improvements are possible.

Jul 21, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 16
I too have to agree with Neruda here. Even though its hard for me to believe, there are ety owners that have NOT seen this website.
biggrin.gif
The etys were meant for portable use. Although we may prefer a portable model with a 1/8 jack which can be driven by a pcdp, and a second model made for home listening, I'm not sure it will happen.

Jul 21, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 16
BenG: Just to clarify...I think Etymotic (or at least, Don Wilson) WOULD like to do a different cable and would like to upgrade the sound and relieve some long standing complaints. But frankly, they are a fairly small company whose main mission is not headphone related. Don Wilson was one of the prime forces behind the ER4 series and regularly posts at this site. He reads the suggestions here and he knows what most of us would like to see in a finished product. He has similar interests. Unfortunately, since he seems to be one of the primary people driving the development of their headphone line and it's not his primary job (from what it sounds like, it's not necessarily his secondary job either!), it's not too surprising that modifications with this line aren't as fast as what happens with Sony or any other big name firm. They know about the problem, are interested in doing something about it, but have not yet found a cost effective alternative to the cord that has otherwise similar properties.

Bruce

Jul 21, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back