ETY 4s
Aug 14, 2004 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
i heard the ety 4s and feel that the instruments sound better than er6 but the vocal has alot of ssshh sound , any one can explain that?

Aug 14, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 13
The sssh sound is sibilance I think. It's common on analytical phones like etys. The recording may be the main problem, I've heard tracks with horrible sibilance. Does a number on you ears. A decent source and amp will usually tone the problem. I don't notice it as much as I did when using a lesser setup.

Aug 14, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
The sssh sound is sibilance I think. It's common on analytical phones like etys. The recording may be the main problem, I've heard tracks with horrible sibilance. Does a number on you ears. A decent source and amp will usually tone the problem. I don't notice it as much as I did when using a lesser setup.

ic the ety is my friend's , i using his portable cd player without an amp

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Ety ER-4 has heightened/extended trebles to make them sound more detailed... what you're experiencing is called sibilance. Common complaint about the ER-4.

Do you mean more forward treble? Because being more extended is not a trait to make them more detailed at all...but simply a superior driver capable of reproducing higher frequences.

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 13
With any tip but the triple-flanged, my E5's when paired with either my Rio Chiba or Creative Zen Xtra produced PAINFUL sibilance in any recording with hints of it. I don't seem to have the same problem with my Ety4's.

Aug 15, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Do you mean more forward treble? Because being more extended is not a trait to make them more detailed at all...but simply a superior driver capable of reproducing higher frequences.

Yeah, that's what I meant, that the ER-4 has a more forward treble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
strange, i never got sibiliance with er4, it might also have to do with the source, . Usually this complaint i feel is about the e5 more so.

Interesting, most opinion of people who used the E5's are that they don't show enough treble. I also found that E5's sibilance is way below most other headphones.

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Personally I don't find the ER4P has either a bright sound or forward treble, but this may be a consequence of using with a 3G iPod headphone out
plainface.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volpino
With any tip but the triple-flanged, my E5's when paired with either my Rio Chiba or Creative Zen Xtra produced PAINFUL sibilance in any recording with hints of it.

????????
My E5s don't sound sibilant, perceived differences might be due to different ear canal shapes?

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 13
Individual ear canal shape would certainly have an effect on perceived 'peaks'.
As does the choice of bud material/design.
My experience with the foam buds is that the length of the tube coupled with depth of insertion plays a considerable role in the sound of the phones.
This is definitely worth experimenting with.

Many people here are probably familiar with this site/page:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

The filter notch points chosen here do make a considerable difference to the
potentially sharp sound of the ER4's.
Though for my tastes/ear I prefer a little less attenuation at slightly different frequencies .[ear piece type/depth obviously plays a role here]

I also found that the 2.5 K notch width to impinge a little too much on the 1-2k range robbing the phones of some of their vocal presence and air.
The combination of the 2.5k and 7.5 notches also compounded this problem further by lowering the frequencies between them.
The sound was a little too laid back and cool for my tastes.
And none of the above was helped by my nos dacs gentle hf roll of out to -3.5db at 20khz
rolleyes.gif

I have since lifted the range a little between the filters centered at about 5k and also corrected the 1-2k dip coupled with a little tweak lower down the mids and honed the bass with the amp bass-boost filter.

Thus far I like the sound far more than the previous stock sound.
It seems to encompass the fullness of the P phone with the larger soundstage
of the S phone but without being overly forward or fat in the midbass.
Well lit without the sun in ones eyes
biggrin.gif

I have to admit to initially being reticent about attaching a bunch of caps and inductors in line with my phones, not a very purist thing to do, very un audiophile
very_evil_smiley.gif
But whatever the theoretical shortcomings of passive EQ's , I do like the sound [at last] .
Not perfect but 90% of what I was aiming for.

Perhaps I should join Team Tin Ear
plainface.gif
wink.gif

Setmenu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back