Ety 4S and Antique Sound MG Head Tube amp
Feb 28, 2002 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have or heard this combo? I'm thinking of upgrading to it for home listening once I have enough money saved up. Are tubes and Etys a good match? Do I have to get some Mini to RCA cable to hook it up? Or is a mini mini fine?

Feb 28, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
I agree, it is a beautiful combo. Most high impedance cans work well with the MG Head...

Isn't the 4S only 125ohm? Is that considered high impedance?

Feb 28, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 8
Actually, according to Todd from Headroom, they're 100 ohm impedance. It's not the highest impedance out there, but high enough to warrant the use of an amp in my opinion.

Just another question: the Antique Sound Labs MG Head on Headroom is called just that: the Antique Sound Labs MG Head Tube Amp. There's no OTL in the name. And I don't see any OTL output when I look at all the pictures of the amp. Is there some different version of the MG Head that's different than the MG Head they have at Headroom?

Feb 28, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by FlurkingShnit
Actually, according to Todd from Headroom, they're 100 ohm impedance. It's not the highest impedance out there, but high enough to warrant the use of an amp in my opinion.

Just another question: the Antique Sound Labs MG Head on Headroom is called just that: the Antique Sound Labs MG Head Tube Amp. There's no OTL in the name. And I don't see any OTL output when I look at all the pictures of the amp. Is there some different version of the MG Head that's different than the MG Head they have at Headroom?

The actual name is MG Head DT. The newer version of this amp are have an OTL mode (that isn't true OTL). The version Headroom has should be the OTL version but ask to be sure when ordering. Divergent Technologies calls it the MG Head DT OTL. Regardless, the original MG Head is no longer in production so if anyone is selling one without the OTL upgrade, its simply old stock.

Feb 28, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Just one more question: Everyone says that the stock tubes that come with the amp are just so so. Where can I get some upgraded tubes to improve the sound and how do you replace the things? I've never dealt with tube amps before so I'm a real newbie when it comes to those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back