Ety 4P, First impressions
Aug 29, 2004 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Judge Crandall

100+ Head-Fier
After a brutal week of waiting, the 4Ps from discountheadphones.com finally came. They sound great, so much detail, even at low volumes. Every instrument /sound is very clear and distinct. Really loving the sound, even with no burn-in. The bass is very tight. The Ety's are just a bit lacking in the bass to me, and should be just perfect after burning in. I'm not a basshead though, I just like the bass to be balanced along with everything else. They sound great with every song I've listened to. The 4P's are definitely not for those who like to listen at a loud volume. Too much hiss and other artifacts above more than a moderate volume, even on EAC/Lame 320k tracks. These definitely aren't comfortable though. Hopefully I'll get used to having something this deep in my ear, but for now, I'm not gonna forget I'm wearing them. I found the triflanges to be easier to insert than the foamies, both being about equally comfortable, which is to say, not very. The microphonics are really bad. I can't imagine going running or exercising with these. It's not so bad with the shirt clip, but it's always there, unless you're almost completely still. The isolation is impressive, but a bit pointless because of the microphonics. It's possible that I haven't been able to seal them properly. If that's the case, this is a great sounding set of phones that might actually sound even better.

All listening was done on a 4G 20gb iPod. Before the Ety's, i had been using MX500s.

the Judge
etysmile.gif

After letting them burn-in for awhile, the bass and the sound overall has improved greatly. Also, I've gotten quite comfortable with having something in my ear. It actually feels strange when I use my MX500s because there's NOTHING in my ear. Go figure. Also, thanks to Oliver for the tip about putting the cord around my ears. That decreased microphonics dramatically. Another thing I forgot to mention is how well they isolate...I couldn't hold a converstion with these on, even without music playing. All in all, a great set of phones, though I wouldnt recommed using them outside. Now all I need is are full sized cans...then an amp...then....

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 10
maybe you could try tweaking the eq settings. Create your own custom eq's that dont boost the bass as much as the apple preset bass boost and then simply apply them to a few songs and try it out. If you like it you can apply it to all of your songs. Thats what I did with my er4p's and they sound just the way I like it.

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 10
No, not the presets on the ipod like bass boost or bass reduce or whatnot. You have to go into itunes, and on the bottom right hand corner, Look for the icon on the far left of the three icons and click on it. Adjust the eq so that U get a little more bass, and then save it as preset under your own name. Then click on one of your songs and choose the eq option and select the eq u created. Now connect the ipod and update it. If it doesnt update, u might want to try making a small change to your list like remove a song or add one since the ipod might not recognize the eq settings change. Ask if u have more questions.

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Crandall
The 4P's are definitely not for those who like to listen at a loud volume. Too much hiss and other artifacts above more than a moderate volume, even on EAC/Lame 320k tracks.

I would have to disagree with this statement. Wouldn't this depend on your original recording? I have no hiss/artifacts and I listen to my ER-4P's at loud volumes.

And on the comfort issue, I couldn't get used to the tri-flanges, I find the foamies to be far more comfortable, you just have to get used to them.

Enjoy!

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
No, not the presets on the ipod like bass boost or bass reduce or whatnot. You have to go into itunes, and on the bottom right hand corner, Look for the icon on the far left of the three icons and click on it. Adjust the eq so that U get a little more bass, and then save it as preset under your own name. Then click on one of your songs and choose the eq option and select the eq u created. Now connect the ipod and update it. If it doesnt update, u might want to try making a small change to your list like remove a song or add one since the ipod might not recognize the eq settings change. Ask if u have more questions.

Have you tried this? I don't believe it transfers to the iPod. At least it never has for me and a number of others who've attempted it.

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I would have to disagree with this statement. Wouldn't this depend on your original recording? I have no hiss/artifacts and I listen to my ER-4P's at loud volumes.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just heard hiss/artifacts even on my highest quality rips. It seems to vary a lot from track to track though. No lossless though, which might eliminate this issue.

the Judge

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650

I just tried this, and it didn't transfer. Oh well.

the Judge

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 10
Just the usual hints,

- insert them with your mouth open in a slow, twisting motion, they do not have to go in as deeply as possible,

- try wrapping the cord back over your ears. Looks incredibly geeky, but helps a lot regarding microphonics. Also reduces the risk of strangers talking to you due to the fierce look. You will get used to the mfs though.

- any hiss is most likely induced by your source / source material. I would get a tiny bit of noise with my Supermicro attached to my iPod 3G's headphone out, but it's completely gone when using the line-out. Try some lossless material to check whether you might have that 4G sound issue with your iPod.

Aug 30, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 10
Wow!!! I guess I have heard about putting the cables over your ears but it never sunk in to actually do it. I tried it today and wow what a difference. i swear the headphones sound better. Well, I know that isn't true but I guess I noticed how much I have gotten used to microphonics from occasional movement. I guess I just got used to it. Having the cables behind the ears, I could shake my head back and forth and I only hear pure music. New Ety users, this could be perhaps ones first upgrade, and a cheap one at that.

dshea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back