Ety 4P concerns after a year.
May 18, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
I don't notice any type of problems with q-tips since I don't stick them in any further than I do with the actual Ety phones. So what's the problem? We all stick the Ety's in our ears.

You shouldn't be putting anything smaller than your elbow into your ear, as the old saying goes. And it's true: I don't recommend either ear plugs or canalphones. Hearing protection is a necessity in this day in age, and so I recommend you have a good, durable pair of ear muffs (circumaural hearing protectors) with you at most times. Stop worrying so much about looking strange! The public is the giant, bloody, severed ox head on the table, rotting and filled with maggots, that everyone, including your parents, ignores, while politely sipping cocktails and pretending everything is normal.

May 19, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 26
Well if I don't want to suffer from eternal sleep deprevation, I have to wear earplugs. :p

So what's more unhealthy, years of sleeping in 30 minute shifts, or sticking things in your ears?
mad.gif

May 16, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #18 of 26
Don't you worry! I have both: the mx500 and the ety 4p ...and the are mx500 just earbuds, nothing more. They are better than my old aiwa's, but that's it. Really! I wouldn't even begin to compare them! The mx500 are useful when you have to listen to something quickly, but for a real musical enjoyment they are useless, if you know better phones.
I also think that the 4P sound much better outside than the mx500, but if you have to pay attention to your environment, these earbuds are a small sized and affordable choice. Still, in this price category there are other good phones available as well. But that's what it is: another category than the ety's.

nales: how old were you, when people told you those things about sticking objects into your ears? Usually one tells those things to little children, so they don't stick something into their ears, which is difficult to pull out, or just in case they try out long sharp (preferably metall) objects :wink:. But as they grow older (and learn to see a difference between things which are designed to be put into their ears and which don't) we don't tell them anymore and rely on their own healthy judgement :wink:
If you don't feel comfortable with it, it's ok. I also have my dislikes, but don't claim it's unhealthy!

May 16, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nales
You shouldn't be putting anything smaller than your elbow into your ear, as the old saying goes. And it's true: I don't recommend either ear plugs or canalphones. Hearing protection is a necessity in this day in age, and so I recommend you have a good, durable pair of ear muffs (circumaural hearing protectors) with you at most times. Stop worrying so much about looking strange! The public is the giant, bloody, severed ox head on the table, rotting and filled with maggots, that everyone, including your parents, ignores, while politely sipping cocktails and pretending everything is normal.

I totally agree. I wear ear muffs with my aluminum foil hat and it gives me perfect protection from government & alien mind reading.

May 16, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 26
uggghhh... I own a pair of MX500's, and they are not good 'phones by any stretch. I feel they are -highly- overrated on this board. They produce sound, that is all. They are far from being "giant killers".

Trevor

May 16, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #22 of 26
The etys are amazing little buggers. They are leagues ahead of the MX500's, so don't you worry about that. IMO, etys are one of the best pair of cans you can get...not to mention the "cheap" price tag they claim. I think the etys can compete with such cans as grado hp-1000's and the omegaII kgss combo.

About half a year ago, etys were my best friend, but i just couln't stand the in-the-ear thing and all of the isolation they give. So, I gave up and went searching. Now, here I am with a pair of grado RS-1's and i feel like may have finally found the right cans for me. Sure they don't sound much like the somewhat analytical etys, but they sure are groovin'. I wish there was a full-size headphone that had an identical sound to the etys, then I would be in bliss.

Sorry, for that little rant of mine.
rolleyes.gif
You are lucky that you can stand the fit of the etys.

Don't worry about the filters. The twenty or so bucks you have to pay to get those replacement filters is well worth it, IMO. Do you use the shirt clip? At first I thought that I didn't need it, but later I noticed that it helps out the microphonics issue a lot.

Best Regards,
Dan

May 16, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 26
Some people are simply more prone to earwax problems than others, just as some have plaque issues with their teeth. I regularly kill a filter every couple months, despite my best efforts. I have found if you take a small needle and CAREFULLY clean the filter area, they can last quite awhile.

This whole idea of the MX500's being mentioned in the same breath as the ER-4P's is ludicrous.

May 16, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
This whole idea of the MX500's being mentioned in the same breath as the ER-4P's is ludicrous.

I totally agree, LOL. And IMO, the bass on the Ety's is not lacking at all. If anything, it's so tight and accurate (on the ER-4S, a little less so on the 4P) that some ignotrant people think something's wrong with it because it doesn't sound akin to an amorphous low-frequency blob-o-sound that colors the rest of spectrum (*cough* MX500's *cough*).

May 16, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
I have been using Q-tips since birth also. And when I don't use them, I get tons of wax build up on my Ety's. And my hearing is absolutely perfect. I don't notice any type of problems with q-tips since I don't stick them in any further than I do with the actual Ety phones. So what's the problem? We all stick the Ety's in our ears. Maybe those of you that have heard q-tips were bad was because the people who had the bad experience stuck them in too far or used them in the wrong ways.

\\

Ask any audiologist or ENT. You should *never* stick anything into your inner ear. Rinsing is the only way to go.

May 17, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quality Guru
I totally agree, LOL. And IMO, the bass on the Ety's is not lacking at all. If anything, it's so tight and accurate (on the ER-4S, a little less so on the 4P) that some ignotrant people think something's wrong with it because it doesn't sound akin to an amorphous low-frequency blob-o-sound that colors the rest of spectrum (*cough* MX500's *cough*).

true true....spits on E5

hugs ER4S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back