Ety 4P and occasional crackling sound: need repair?
Jun 6, 2002 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hongman

Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been using a pair of ER4Ps for the last 6 months or so, and I've noticed that it occasionally will pop/crackle for a brief second, then go back to normal. At first I thought it was my amp or source, but I've tried my etys with a number of different sources, and different amps, and I get the same thing. Does this sound like a problem that could happen to a pair of etys? I'm wondering if something may be loose in the drivers, etc. Before I send it in, though, I wanted your thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

If it helps any, I'm using my etys with the Fixup 100ohm cable. I think I've noticed the problem with the stock cable too.

Thanks,

Chris

Jun 7, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 6
When does the pop/crackle occur. Does it occur based on the input signal at peaks, etc. Could it be the recording?

Try a filter change before sending it in. If you think it is contact intermittency at either side of the connection, you can try contact cleaner like ProGold. Take advantage of Etymotic customer service, and see if they can fix it. If it is some cord intermittency it will usually occur based on cord movement and not the recording. If it is based on the recording, than it is either the recording or maybe distortion in the drivers.

--
Tim

Jun 7, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 6
That's almost certainly a dirty filter. As long as you don't drop any of them on the floor while you're changing them, the process is very easy. If you don't have very steady hands, though, I would recommend having a clean floor and a magnifying glass on hand just in case. Those filters are not cheap!

Jun 7, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 6
One other possibility: I notice that just after insertion, especially when my ears are a little most after a shower, that there are scratchy noises as they settle in. If I chew or wiggle my ears (Yes, I have that atavistic ability!) so that my ear canals change shape, those sounds will appear again briefly. This is using silicon rubber tips. Although I don't use the foamies, I suspect that they would not produce a similar effect.

Could it be that you are unconsciously doing something that induces the noise that you are asking about?

(Try some face contortions including extreme jaw movements in all directions to see whether anything like the problem noise appears.)

Jun 7, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Directly from Etymotic they're $14 for three pairs and $17 for the changing tool if you need that. They don't need to be changed regularly, just when the sound starts to degrade or pop and crackle (and snap).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back