Ety 4-P's or Shure E5c's...STILL CONFUSED!!!
Jul 3, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 43
The Etys are absolutely awesome. The eye-popping crystal clear sound with amazing separation of instruments never gets old. They still can suffer from fatiguing shrill brightness over long listening sessions, and that's where the other piece of the puzzle completes them. The Xin SuperDual. The matchbox-sized amp fits in the smallest of cell phone belt cases, and seems made for ER4. You can get the 4P, as the SD has a switch to emulate the P->S cable...so you can go amp-less when needed.

Listened to all three of my 'phones this morning cutting the grass...E3s - nice, wear them for the back yard work....E5s - after getting a little worn out from the excesses of the E3s, much cleaner but need psycho-acoustic burn in each time used...Ety ER4s (with SuperDual) - after cleaning up, just one word --- Perfect in every way (oops, 4 words).

Jul 3, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 43
Shure E2 are great for workout/gym, but I prefer Ety-4p for the clarity. Ety-4p is not bad for jogging if they are worn properly.
The foam on the Ety's are a lot better than Shure E2's.

Jul 13, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #19 of 43
But I've listened to the Ety's for about 3 weeks and the Shures for about a week. All I can say is wow to both of em. I'm enamored with the Ety's amazing detail and the warmth in the sound the Shures create. Unfortunately, though, I still can't make up my mind. The ety's are definately better for jogging/working out (if worn as described above), as the shures tend to fall out of the ear. But I dont know. When I listen to each pair right after the other, I feel each misses somthing. I wish the Shures could have more detail and I wish the ety's could have more warmth. This really is making my decision difficult.

I was reading another thread where someone thought the clarity of the ety's is almost artificial. I really disagree with that and feel that is how music was meant to be heard. I can really pick apart the different instruments on the ety's much easier than on the shures. I definately like the bass on the shures, but I think I'm begining to lean towards the ety's simply because this clarity thing really has got me. I have to decide in a few days now, and would appreciate any more feedback. Also, any suggestions to keep the e5's in my ear while working out?

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #20 of 43
You have problem keeping E5's in your ear?.. Hmm.. never heard anyone having that problem before. Are they fitted properly inside your ear? Do the entire housing of the driver rest up against the inside of your ear?

Have you tried tri-flange tips, btw?

Jul 13, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #21 of 43
I'll be the devil on your shoulder and tell you to keep them both! I swore when I got the e5s that I was just going to compare them to the etys and then maybe send them back (or sell my etys). But, unfortunately for me, Massive Attack sounds too good on the Shures and Miles Davis sounds too good on the etys for me to part with either of them now.

Jul 13, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by morpheus5885
I wish the Shures could have more detail and I wish the ety's could have more warmth. This really is making my decision difficult.

Hey Tony. I've probably ruled out both the E5s and the Etys for that reason. That's why you need to consider what I'm doing (hopefully) and step up to the Ultimate Ears UE-10Pro or the Sensaphonics 2X-S. From what I've read, I think I want the UE, but I don't have a spare arm or leg I can give up.

Now I just need to find $1000....

Jul 13, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrishel
From what I've read, I think I want the UE, but I don't have a spare arm or leg I can give up.

So what have you heard?
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
So what have you heard?
wink.gif

Yeah, I'm all ears. Ultimate ears actually. Explain us why you are inclined to go with UE-10 Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 43
Well, part of the problem with custom IEMs is that I've heard nothing! I am having a lot of problems justifying to myself that I should spend that much $$$ on something I haven't ever tried before.

Reading from people's experiences, however, it sounds like the UEs do a bit better job of being highly detailed while preserving the musicality of the recording. I do a fair amount of transcribing, among other things, so being able to discretely hear each note is quite useful. Also the great customer service reports are a definite plus.

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrishel
Reading from people's experiences, however, it sounds like the UEs do a bit better job of being highly detailed while preserving the musicality of the recording.

In comparison, UE does a better job at heightening the high-end detail, not that it has *more* detail. It enhances it with an extra bit of sharpness. However, 2X-S preserves "musicality" much better than UE. UE is more analytical and dry.

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #27 of 43
Hmm...Dang I wish I could try these things out, so I know for sure what I'm getting....

Jul 13, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
In comparison, UE does a better job at heightening the high-end detail, not that it has *more* detail. It enhances it with an extra bit of sharpness. However, 2X-S preserves "musicality" much better than UE. UE is more analytical and dry.

Given that he's going to transcribe stuff, I'd say the more analytical design wins in this situation. Regarding UE being dry in their presentation... I really don't know what to say. I compare them with my Dynaudio set of speakers and I don't find them dry at all. Again, I wonder (and I can only wonder, as long as I don't lose my mind and splash out for the 2X-S too) whether your finding the 2X-S more musical could have something to do with them "enhancing the bass" (in the words of the engineer who designed them).

Jul 13, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #29 of 43
transcribing definately wouldn't be the primary use, just a nice feature. Is one of these phones capable of reproducing one type of music better than the other? My reason for asking is I listen to a wide spectrum of music. I would think for the price, they would both do a really good job with just about anything. Some particular artists/genres im curious about:

Ben Folds
Dream Theater (prog rock)
Leo Kottke (folk guitar)
A Cappella Stuff... (barbershop quartets, other groups...)
Classical Piano / Symphonic Stuff
Bluegrass

Thanks

Jul 13, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #30 of 43
Chrishel, as you can tell from my review, I listen to many different genres of music (classical included) and I find the UE-10 do a superior job.

Now, the situation on Head-Fi is that Lindrone is the only user (apart from HRA, which is notably absent from the forums nowadays) that has got both. And he prefers the 2X-S. I feel that he prefers them more than he mentioned in his review (understandable, as he now has had more time to try them).

This doesn't detract from the fact that all the UE-10 owners on the forums have been enthusiastic about them (me included).

But Lindrone is the only one to have them both. Take that as you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back