Ether Flow vs. Audeze LCD-3 vs. Focal Elear
Dec 21, 2016 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

sotto123

100+ Head-Fier
I've narrowed it down to these three headphones. In the UK, the Flow and LCD-3 are the same price, and the Elear is half the price. I was considering the HE-1000 but they are £1000 more expensive, my V200 probably won't get the best out of them, and if I'm getting into that price range I may as well save up for the Utopia and LCD-4.

Anyway, what are the main differences I can expect with these headphones? The LCD-2 and HE-500 are the headphones I'm most familiar with. I mostly listen to modern guitar and piano based music. No classical or heavy stuff.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 26
I havn't heard the Flow, but I'm fairly familiar with the rest (and own an HE-500).
The Elear would be my choice.
It has agility and ability to 'excite' like the HE-500's mid-range, but with the smoother, buttery bass sound of the LCD2.  
Basically kinda like a Sennheiser HD650 on steroids (without the nasty side-effects) and a slightly more pronounced treble.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 26
  I havn't heard the Flow, but I'm fairly familiar with the rest (and own an HE-500).
The Elear would be my choice.
It has agility and ability to 'excite' like the HE-500's mid-range, but with the smoother, buttery bass sound of the LCD2.  
Basically kinda like a Sennheiser HD650 on steroids (without the nasty side-effects) and a slightly more pronounced treble.

Sounds very promising. Do the Elear's have good instrument separation and are airy? The HD650's were my introduction to high-end headphones but those are two of their biggest drawbacks, in my opinion.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 26
  Sounds very promising. Do the Elear's have good instrument separation and are airy? 

Good?
Good, doesn't do it justice. Even through a crappy portable player, it was some of the best I've ever heard.
With HE-500, everything is clear, and you can hear there is separation... with the Elear it's less like 'separation' and more like 'individual sounds'. 

I think some people would prefer the more dry and clearly textured bass of a planar, since the Elear does have a seemignly 'slower' decay in the bass, which I think sounds more natural despite often being regarded as technically 'inferior'. 
But the combination of a fast, agile and textured bass combined with a slower decay (which I think has more to do with the ear pads than the driver) is something I think is unique to this headphone.

Not sure about airiness... I think I'd still give the HE-500 the crown there out of the two, but mine is modded so I can't really say for sure since I'm using ONLY speaker cloth for a rear 'grill' which gives the sound incredible airiness. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 26
Of those three the Flow is probably the most "reference/neutral" sounding. The LCD-3 was always my favorite Audeze offering and is a very nice (though uncomfortable) headphone. I like the Elears but they aren't neutral to my ears, they are very musical though.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 26
Can anyone speak to the vocals of any of the three. I just pulled the HD 650 out of retirement, by which I mean I replaced the broken cable, and I forgot how hauntingly beautiful the vocals come through. They manage to beat all the headphones I have listened to in this regard (LCD 2.2, T1, HE-500, HD-600).

I'd say that the headphones that are the most similar to or even better the vocals of the HD 650 will be the deciding factor in my purchase.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 26
Can anyone speak to the vocals of any of the three. I just pulled the HD 650 out of retirement, by which I mean I replaced the broken cable, and I forgot how hauntingly beautiful the vocals come through. They manage to beat all the headphones I have listened to in this regard (LCD 2.2, T1, HE-500, HD-600).

I'd say that the headphones that are the most similar to or even better the vocals of the HD 650 will be the deciding factor in my purchase.
My vote would be for the Flows they are fantastic. Have not heard the Elears but did hear the Utopia and they are one of the best out there for certain. The LCD 3's are very good but I would pick the Ether's over them. This is just my opinion YMMV.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 26
Just ordered the Elears. I think it will have a sound signature that I will really enjoy and at half the price of the others its value can't be beat. Hopefully they arrive before xmas!

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 26
How'd it go? I've been enjoying my HE-500s for a few years now, but am starting to get the upgrade jitters.(I've been good for 3 years, so I'm due) Is the Elears' improvement worth all that money, or should I upgrade something else?

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 26

What amp are you pairing your HD650 with?

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 26
Bump... I'm in the same camp in needing help choosing between the Focal And LCD-2, don't own a pair of Planars and would love to have a legendary pair to add to my new found hobby, and the Focals just make me wonder if I should give them a test drive first as they seem to have a FUN sound signature about them similar to my Fedelio x2. 

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 26
Been away for a long time, but I'm glad to be back!

Ok, I have a Burson Conductor v2+. I'm currently using Hifiman HE 400i to "hold me over" until I pull the trigger on either the Elear or Ether Flow...(I'm leaning heavily towards the Flow, and not because of price, although it would be great to spend almost half and get the Elears).

Just trying to bump this thread a bit and get some feedback.

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #15 of 26
I'm in the same boat, I've recently upgraded my headphones amp to a nicely priced Meridian Prime with Seperate PS, and whilst it has improved the sound of my HD650's I feel the amp deserves better. I heard the Audeze LCD3 (pre Fazor) with the Prime amp at Bristol Show a couple of years ago and was mightily impressed. I also demoed Mrs Speakers, can't remember which amp but they had a fun sound, engaging. I tried the then reference Ultrasone and hated them, I found them far too clinical sounding. The market is now flooded with quality headphones at varying price points, makes it quite difficult to find the time to demo them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back