Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Mar 23, 2004 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
i'm not sure if lots of people have heard about this movie, but it is the latest film based on a screenplay by Charlie Kaufman (being john malkovich, adaptation) and i saw it earlier this weekend. jim carrey and kate winslet are the main characters, with elijah wood and kirsten dunst in supporting roles. there's also a cameo by david cross, for any fans of him.

okay enough introduction: the movie was beautiful. at first, i just looked at it and thought "eh, actors i don't particularly like and a movie that looks like 'vanilla sky'.. i'll pass" but i ended up seeing it anyway and i was seriously impressed. carrey and winslet both seriously impressed me with their abilities for this one, and i used to *hate* kate winslet and thought jim carrey's "real acting" was a waste of time. this film certainly proved those feelings wrong.

the story is incredibly well-told and easy to follow, yet very encompassing and packed with characters you grow to love by the end of the movie. the soundtrack kicks ass as well and i found myself buying a copy as i headed out of the theatre (my local favorite theatre is located in a mall). i'm listening to it on my hp-2's as i type this up actually.

anyway, i think a lot of people will be able to enjoy this movie, especially if you enjoyed lost in translation (though i wouldn't say they are that much alike, i do think that if you like it you'll definitely enjoy this one). so to recap: awesome story, awesome acting, great soundtrack, and awesome cinematography and effects: they simply don't stand out at all and it's seriously impressive to achieve that look for a movie, in my opinion.

so anybody else enjoy this soon-to-be-classic yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 14
I have not yet had the chance to enjoy this film, but considering that Charlie Kaufman is one of the true great modern geniuses of our time, I have no doubts that it will be nothing less than extraordinary.

- Chris

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 14
I've been waiting for this one for awhile, as it was originally slated to come out last year (but post-production problems pushed it back further). Considering that I'm in Japan, I'll probably have to wait considerably longer for it to premier here (if at all). So it may come to *ahem* other means if I want to view this in the near future.

Kaufman's scripts are quite good, but don't forget that Michel Gondry is the director of this film, who is the mastermind behind a slew of fantastic music videos directed for the likes of Bjork, Daft Punk, and Cibo Matto.

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 14
I saw the movie yesterday. Went with some friends thinking "Oh God, a romantic comedy with Jim Carrey, what could be worse", but came out blown away. Brilliantly conceived and directed, with magnificant perfomances by both Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. Jim Carrey shows great sensitivity and restraint.

Mar 23, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm totally dying to see this movie, but everyone I know around here wants to see Dawn of the Dead, instead.

However, the people I know whose taste I trust in music and movies (and don't live around here at all) seem to love this movie to bits, and I wish I had someone to see it with :p
redface.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dabblerblue
I'm totally dying to see this movie, but everyone I know around here wants to see Dawn of the Dead, instead.

Exactly what my girlfriend wanted to see... *sigh*

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 14
Its a good movie. Go see it.

Biggie.

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by ReDVsion
Exactly what my girlfriend wanted to see... *sigh*

i'm forcing my girlfriend to watch the original with me first. unrated director's cut!

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 14
Hated "Lost in Translation". One of the most over rated movies in years.

Saw "Eternal Sunshine" last weekend and loved it. Washed away all the grime and crap that builds up from seeing bad films like "Lost in Translation".
smily_headphones1.gif

Some thoughts on "Eternal Sunshine":

-Reminded me alot of French new wave flicks from the early '60s. It seemed like an homage of sorts to Truffaut and Godard in their prime; many jump cuts, hand held shots, narrative "play". Definitely not the standard Hollywood "invisible editing" style.

-Fantastic script. From opening scene to third act, the story consistently kept things moving and you really did care about the main characters. The story stumbles on for a bit longer than necessary, IMHO, but perhaps Kaufman wanted that extra ending sequence to avoid the typical happy ending wrap-up.

-Surprisingly strong acting. Jim Carrey's best role to date. Finally a chance for him to show some range and depth. He brought a lot of originality to the film, I thought, and the director must have had a nice time working with him.

Kate Winslet was, as usual, excellent and there seemed to be some real chemistry between her and Carrey.

Conclusion: A beautiful, lyrical and vibrant film!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back