et4p
Aug 24, 2004 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

james902

100+ Head-Fier
thanks to head-fi...

i'm down 188$. The headphones arrived today and they're kinda weird. I guess you have to get used to the insertion. the insertion feels like i'm going to poke out my ear drum but the music seems nice. Anyhow, the sound is very different from the sony mdr-71. It's nice and clear... The highs/mids sound nice, but is the bass supposed to be flat? I don't hear the thump that i get with the 71sl. Is that because my laptop can't send enough power? Or do i have to gget these headphoens deeper (eeK!)?
etysmile.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 15
No, the er4's do not have heavy thumping bass. Most of the canalphones dont give you that much bass. Although the er4's bass is not much, it should be very tight and deep, compared to your sony's. But the tremendous highs compared to the sony's is well worth it IMO. If you want something with extremely good highs, and great bass, you're not gonna get it unless u're willing to spend 500 - 1000 for the ultimate ears or something similar. I'm sure u'll like them once u get used to them
etysmile.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 15
dang... that was a fast reply

oh okay. I really love the way the mids/highs sound. I thought I was just missing something. Each note is so sharp! the sonys just sounded like everything was meshed together. Now each and every sound is distinct. Time to enjoy my new toy
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Hi James,

Give both the foamies and the triple flanges a shot. I found the foamies took more getting used to but with my ears the seal was better and consequently the bass. Others have found the opposite since it depends on the shape of your ears.

There's also a burning in/learning curve. I'm still not sure if this is a phsycological adjustment to the new sound or if it's an actual mechanical burn in of the eties. Opinions differ on the need to burn in with canal 'phones.

The good news is that the zipped carry case is superior to the leather pouch supplied with UE-10's which IMHO is too small.

Congrats on your purchase these are great cans.

regards

John

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by james902
I guess you have to get used to the insertion. the insertion feels like i'm going to poke out my ear drum

*eek*
wink.gif

Try inserting them in a gentle twisting motion, with your mouth open. That helps a lot regarding the seal.
As the the others said, Etys don't have visceral bass that rattles your teeth, but they have deep, pronounced bass, if there is bass in the recording. Try Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" and you will know what I mean.

Aug 24, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 15
I just got a pair too - great sound, but will the feeling of the foam tip pressing out on the inside of my ear ever go away? (the tri-flanges weren't any good at all in terms of bass & comfort)

Aug 24, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 15
Just got my ETY ER-4P and it's true about the bass, it's not the best. The highs are excellent, but i just noticed i have a hearing problem in my right ear.
The high's just don't sound clear in my right ear compared to the left. I know that i cannot pop my right ear (hold your nose, keep your mouth shot, and breath out hard, to pop out the eardrum), and it might have something to do with that?

Regards
Raptor

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 15
I got mine about 6 weeks ago. I found at the beginning I equalized a bass boost through iTunes and that seemed to give me satisfactory bass. I have found though after listening to them for a month or so, that I have turned off the bass boost and all the iTunes settings I can use with my laptop. I guess you kind of break the addiction of boomy bass, although every once in a while I will kick it on for rock music. The bass is there, it just is different. You will soon become addicted to the detail. I am expecting an amp and DAC in the next week or two which I have been told will help improve the bass.

Enjoy your new toy!

dshea

Aug 24, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 15
They Ety's are soooo analytical. I find that they would not work well as my only set of headphones. Generally I listen to anything acoustical like Dave Matthews, Dido, John Mayer, anything live, classical & jazz with my Ety's, but rock, rap, trance, techno, electronic etc I use my Grado's. The Ety's just don't have it in the bottom like the Grado's. The Grado's are also, IMO, much more musical.

That said I love them both and wouldn't dream of having only 1.

Aug 24, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor18
Just got my ETY ER-4P and it's true about the bass, it's not the best. The highs are excellent, but i just noticed i have a hearing problem in my right ear.
The high's just don't sound clear in my right ear compared to the left. I know that i cannot pop my right ear (hold your nose, keep your mouth shot, and breath out hard, to pop out the eardrum), and it might have something to do with that?

Regards
Raptor

Have you ever gotten your ears flushed out by a Dr.?--after I got my etys I realized I had a ton of wax in my ears, and after I got them flushed, my hearing was so much clearer, and headphones sounded less muffled in my left ear.

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade
Have you ever gotten your ears flushed out by a Dr.?--after I got my etys I realized I had a ton of wax in my ears, and after I got them flushed, my hearing was so much clearer, and headphones sounded less muffled in my left ear.

It's not that, i just cannot pop out my right ear. Well, it could be that some wax is stuck on my eardrum and is preventing me from popping it out, but i don't know. Maybe i should see a doctor.

Regards
Raptor

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor18
I know that i cannot pop my right ear (hold your nose, keep your mouth shot, and breath out hard, to pop out the eardrum), and it might have something to do with that?

Regards
Raptor

Hmm...I do the earpopping thing to equalise the pressure in my ears when I go scuba diving. Usually when people have difficulty doing that, they have a sinus problem. Go see a doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back