ESW9 vs AD1000
May 26, 2009 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ra97oR

CanJam London 2016 Karting Champion
How does the ESW9 stack up against the full sized AD1000 in terms of detail, soundstage and general sound quality? I wanted a good pair of headphones for mainly a home setup, but will take them out too. But due to my budget I can only get one of them. From multiple reviews, its been mention that the ESW9 have weak hinges too. I been through some closed back headphones, and now using a Denon D1001 but hating the soundstage and treble of it, it seems forced to me, and the treble lacks depth. Any good advise or experience with them, I don't really mind the size or isolation.

May 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 12
Bump/

May 27, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Anyone?

May 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 12
AD1000 not so popular on head-fi. I don't think many people owned/tried them. I haven't heard them either. Sorry that I can't help.

May 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Ra97oR,

As hifidk has stated, not many people will have had experience with AD1000, yet alone both.
I have the AD900 and the ESW9 and I can tell you they are entirely different. The ESW9 can't compete on the soundstage, as you would expect. Sound quality is probably similar, however they have quite different sound signatures. You say that size doesn't concern you for portability, however the ADxxxx are huge and leak a fair bit. It is difficult to get a headphone that excels in portable as well as at home, sometimes you just have to compromise a bit. The AD1000 are said to be quite treble focussed. The ESW9 is a great fon, however there are certainly full sized open fons that arguably perform better on decent home systems, in regards to detail and soundstage. I think they hold their own in most cases, well ballanced sound to my ears and they do have good detail. Soundstage is good for a small closed fon, but not in the league of decent full sized open headphones. I can't comment on the hinges, I can only say I have had no issues, however I look after my headphones. If you are hard on your portables, you still may be better off saving for a second cheaper pair, and going for something like the AD900 for home use. The few I know that have tried the AD900 and AD1000, prefer the AD900. Good luck with your headphone journey.

Edit: Having just litened to my ESW9 straight from a DAP, they are a such a fun sound, very complete and engaging. Could I live with the ESW9 if I were only to have one fon, you bet. But I don't have to, so I will keep my DT880s, DT150s, etc.

May 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 12
Bump?

May 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are hard on your portables, you still may be better off saving for a second cheaper pair, and going for something like the AD900 for home use. The few I know that have tried the AD900 and AD1000, prefer the AD900. Good luck with your headphone journey.

The AD900 is awesome!

(Sorry; can't comment on either the ESW9 or AD1000, let alone do a comparison.)

May 29, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Hi

I only have the ESW9, and I am really satisfied with them
smily_headphones1.gif
. They sound better from day to day. The most I like about them is, that they are really portable...

However, here is agood review about the esw9:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/aud...w-pics-373179/

here a good comparison of AD700 / AD900 / AD1000 / AD2000:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/com...ad2000-416162/

I think those two headphones should not be compared, because one is a portable and closed, the other is open and not portable... That is why I posted these two links, so you can choose one of those two, only by their sound characteristics. Just say what has the better SQ I think is too general. In this pricerange you should maybe choose the headphones by your music(rap=bass, rock=mids and treble... not sure about other music).

You should also consider that you may need an amp with ad1000, where the esw9 does not need one (but sounds better with one).

Soundstage is one of those characteristics, and IMO the esw9 lack a little soundstage.

Detail is good, and SQ is the best I heard so far
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 12
I have a pair of AD1000 and I have briefly (like 15 seconds) heard the ESW9.

I really loved the AD1000 at first. I now find them a little harsh in the treble (maybe its just my 192 AAC lossless files) but am still reasonably happy with them. My HD-600s (played with lossless or original CDs) get more use for full size headphone music listening these days so maybe its just what I'm getting used to. Rather than getting a pair of AD1000, i'd either get a pair of AD900 or a second hand pair of AD2000, if I had to do it over again.

I really liked the ESW9.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 12
Anymore?

Thanks for everyone's inputs, it have been useful.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm not sure I can or my comment will help. I have ESW10 and AD2000, I know they are not the one your are interested. All I will say is if I can only have one set of headphone, it will be the ESW10. It is an amazing headphone, it does not need an amp at all but will scale very well with amp.

If you can afford AD1000, take a look at ESW10. It is well worth the extra over ESW9 (listen to it long time ago for a short period)

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 12
UPDATE: Ordered a brand new pair of AD1000 PRM, so its really a AD2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back