esw9 versus esw10 (amateur review)
Nov 12, 2008 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone. This is a comparison review between the esw9 and esw10, as they are both currently in my possession.

The test equipment was:
hooray for pictures:

esw1.jpg

esw2.jpg

esw3.jpg

headphones: Audio-technica ATH-ESW9 (almost a year of moderate use), Audio-technica ATH-ESW10 (almost a day of heavy use).
sources: 5.5 gen iMod (DIY, used with amp), 1st gen iPod nano.
amp: Ray Samuels Audio SR-71.
interconnect: ALO jumbo copper for iMod.
music:
Shubert's 8th "Unfinished" symphony, 1st mov. (Wav),
"Pletzturra" - Infected Mushroom (mp3@239kbpsVBR),
"One" - Metallica (mp3@260kbpsVBR),
"Cheers Darlin'" - Damien Rice (mp3@188kbpsVBR).
I recommend hearing these tracks on your headphones, they were selected for a reason. I can't supply you with them though unless a moderator allows it or unless you pm me.

Since these are both technically portable headphones, I am only testing them out of my portable rig. I'm testing the um-amped versions on my friend's iPod (5.5 gen).

esw9:
(iMod) with amp
Oh the warmth! I love warmth! The highs are there and very good, but not with the same quality as the esw10. The mids are big and in your face, and remind me of a grado-style sound, but minus some of the upper-mids. These should work really well for anyone who loves the "rock" EQ preset.

(iPod) without amp
The frequency response does not seem to change much without the SR-71. The noticeable effects were unfocused sound which is caused in part by an overall shrinking image, and reduced detail across the frequency band.

esw10:
(iMod) with amp
Same sound as the esw9, but what seems to be the biggest difference is a reduction of the low-mids. a little less warmth, over all, but the highs are silk now (enhanced but not harsh), the detail present here is very impressive. Source separation is more accurate on these headphones too because of the beautiful upper range, which helps localize. The middle and bass frequencies are both represented clearly and accurately, with neither dominating when in an even mix in the music. The warmth from the 9's is there, but less so, which makes them more neutral than the 9's, but less "fun sounding" as people say.

(iPod) without amp
I think the best way to describe this is that the esw9 and esw10 sound almost identical when not supplied with a stock ipod amp. The 9 is still warmer, but the soundstage shrinks a little, the highs aren't as nice, and the detail drops off some.

Comparison and final thoughts:

These headphones, as I'm sure no one is surprised, sound similar. They have the same signature with slight differences. My esw10 also have not seen as much use as the esw9, but it's impossible to say if and how much their sound will change. If it is noticeable, I will update this review.

In the classical department, the ESW10 has dominated. Details like the conductor almost-silently tapping his baton are only heard on the 10. Some reverb is missing from the esw9 as well. The low-mids are less prominent in the esw10, this my be to many people's chagrin. the soundstage is better in the esw10, which surprised me, i expected the same thing out of the same sized headphones. The accuracy i mentioned earlier that these phones have really make amazing use out of a wave file's high resolution. This yields an applause-worthy presentation of detail-oriented recordings like symphonic music. In this test, it does seem like the esw10 was designed to trade those nice warm mid/low-mids from the esw9 for detail, and to add a bigger soundstage.

The other music I chose tries to span a range of sounds: electronic, hip hop, rock, metal, acoustic, and pop. It is also in mp3 since they don't benefit from being in wav like classical does, and i also wanted to test the most common type of file. First of all, while I am strong proponent of the mp3, the esw10 is going to be the way to go if you use lossless. If you use mp3's however, you may just want to stick with the 9's. One of the 10's particular strengths is detail, which means more accurate reproduction (across all frequencies) and a bump in the highs. the 9's strength i would say is its warmer sound, making it great for the rock music. Rock music is not really all about detail nor soundstage which are cornerstones of good classical recordings.

Also, I find this hard to believe, and perhaps it's placebo, but the 10 seems to benefit more from the SR-71 than the 9. The 10's output impedance is only high than the 9's by 3 ohms, however. Both headphones saw noticeable stereo widening with the SR-71. I wouldn't recommend getting an esw10 if you aren't going to use it with an amp (and the sr-71 is a hell of an amp), I would recommend getting an esw9.

It is true that the esw10 is the better headphone, since the main goal of the phones is to reproduce sound as accurately is the performer intended to play it. But you cannot say that one of these headphones clearly sounds nicer than the other one. They both give you a fairly forward sound with a nice diffused sound field when prompted or a nice focused image if that's the case in the music. Neither headphone sounds anything less than pleasing at any frequency range. If you want a little extra warmth and don't care about a smaller stage and less detail, the esw9 is better. Personally I think they have a more crowd pleasing sound while the esw10 caters to those who have the extra money and want to really hear all their music and portable gear has to offer.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 54
good stuff, I'll be looking forward to this.

I should mention that with around 80hrs of burn in, ESW10s are getting bit more smooth, so you might want to follow up on your ESW10 later
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 54
Good stuff. I am looking at the ESW9 so I'm looking forward to your opinion.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 54
Awesome, looking forward to it as I entirely skipped the ESW9s and went for the ESW10s. I've around 50 hours on mine and I would say the sound is getting clearer and the resolution improving. I'm not hearing any significant changes to the sound beyond this point.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 54
hope you enjoyed it.. if that's true yaluen, i'm excited. I do hope the warmth comes back slightly, but not if the already wonderful clarity and detail would suffer.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 54
ESW10 does classical rock and speedy classical notably better than ESW9 as well. Try listening to Genesis.

best word to describe ESW10s' bass would be "thunderous" - very evident in heavy classicals with timpani drums. It makes me giggle when I'm listening to carmina burana or 1812 overture.
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW10 does classical rock and speedy classical notably better than ESW9 as well. Try listening to Genesis.

best word to describe ESW10s' bass would be "thunderous" - very evident in heavy classicals with timpani drums. It makes me giggle when I'm listening to carmina burana or 1812 overture.
wink.gif

I'd be willing to bet you are right, given the difference in mix techniques between classic rock and modern rock, but i didn't compare in that genre. I say this because of the massive compression that most rock receives nowadays (dynamic compression, not file compression). The esw10 shines more strongly when the music's details are not lost in production. Please note, I've been talking up the esw10's detail capabilities, but only in comparison to the esw9. While it is one of the best headphones i have ever heard, there are a lot of headphones that I have never heard.

And yes, I didn't mention the low frequencies in my review (cause im an idiot), but both headphones can reproduce ultra-low bass. However, here's another point where I think the esw10's outshines the esw9. While the esw9 can produce the same rock bottom bass notes as the esw10, and it can produce them well, more often than not, these low, low notes are heard with some low-mids too. These low-mids get more emphasis in the esw9 and this warmth ends up "muddying" the bass. The esw10 does not have this problem at all. I bet you, however, that if you brickwall low-passed a song at 50 Hz (or maybe even 100 Hz) and AB'ed the esw9 and the esw10, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two models. Your song would sound quite odd, but that's another issue.

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I bet you, however, that if you brickwall low-passed a song at 50 Hz (or maybe even 100 Hz) and AB'ed the esw9 and the esw10, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two models. Your song would sound quite odd, but that's another issue.

That sounds very interesting. Have you tried this out yet? Given the frequency graphs for the two, this is very plausible.

Here's the graph that was posted in the esw10 thread: Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a link to some curves:

•£LOG

Google translation is your friend.

ESW9 is blue
ESW10JPN is red

img215.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thoughts, and
wink.gif
the suggestion of "unfocused" sound on the ESW9 amp-less. Only more apparent to me when I picked up the HD600 a week ago
tongue.gif

But if I missed it, did you actually say whether the ESW10 was worth the wallet hurt?
icon10.gif

haha i try to stay away from telling people whether it's worth their time and money. I just try to describe the headphones and let the people decided based on their own situation. I don't need people telling me they spent 600 dollars for a headphone they didn't like because i told them too. I can however, give you my own personal train of thought:

I bought the esw10 while I had the esw9s because I knew I could return the 10's if I liked the 9's better. I kept them because they are gorgeous (more so than the esw9, in my opinion, and my grainy pics don't do them justice), the sonic adjustments fit my tastes very well, I could (did) make some of the money back by selling my esw9's. Hope that helps you
smily_headphones1.gif

and yaluen, thank you so much for that response graph!! I really was hoping to see graphically if what I was hearing was accurate or placebo effect. It does bring up some interesting points though. If anything, it probably proves me wrong about the very low response being very similar, since they become very similar only above the 100 Hz mark. I guess the warmth I was hearing was in the lower frequencies. You can see an obvious bump, however at 50 Hz on the esw9 curve, which I'll bet is intentional, to give these the extra warmth I heard over the esw10. Remember, being billed as "portable" they have to cater to underpowered devices. If you are like most people, that extra warmth will be welcome when all you have as a source is a dinky mp3 player with no amp. However, when you want accuracy and detail, you want flat response and the natural bass roll-off which is shown in red on the graph.

The esw9 seems to be flatter between 400 and 600Hz, but that looks to be imperceptibly close. perhaps a trade-off for the adjusted bass.

At least I feel good about the upper frequencies. The highs (minus a curious peak at 15k) look a lot smoother on the esw10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back