essential Progressive Rock
May 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #16 of 35
Maybe the problem here is the definition "prog".
Maybe, you could name Düün II "prog Kraut rock" and Kraftwerk or Cluster and so on "electronic Kraut rock" - after all, musical genres often intermingle with each other. But Kraut defenitely isn't a subgenre of prog rock, but they had many artist and traits in common.
The term "progressive rock/metal" is a very vague one and as itself a problem, especially in prog metal (Just name DT or PF as reference and you go as prog metal -.-). Early on, the genre meant "inovative and intellectually", but nowadays, it's more like "complex, heavy-minded and epic". -.- It's one of the vaguest genres overall - but most of it's subgenres are relatively well defined.
I think that's the case with Kraut. It's "german music in the 60s & 70s, often innovative, either prog rock or electronical", or something like that.

But I must admit, it's not a genre I listen to very often. I'm more into the transcentend, minimalistic type of prog rock/metal, I often cross the line to Post Rock (yet another genre that is very hard to distinguish from prog) and relatively cold metal.
I recommend "Sieges Even - A Sense of Change" or "The Art Of Navigating by the Stars". Both prog metal masterpieces. And even from germany :wink:
And for something beautiful "Autumn Chorus - The Village To The Vale". Even though it's a bit off topic.

May 22, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #17 of 35
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cf0-C11CQ

May 23, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #18 of 35
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cf0-C11CQ

Youtube says:
"Dieses Video ist in Deutschland leider nicht verfügbar, da es Musik von SME enthalten könnte, über deren Verwendung wir uns mit der GEMA bisher nicht einigen konnten"

Here in germany, you can't watch many YT videos because of copyright issues :frowning2:
But Brain Salad Surgery is a lovely album indeed, although I'm not a fan of Emerson Lake and Palmer.
But whenever one of them pops up as a guest musician on an album, consider buying it.

May 23, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #19 of 35

Youtube says:
"Dieses Video ist in Deutschland leider nicht verfügbar, da es Musik von SME enthalten könnte, über deren Verwendung wir uns mit der GEMA bisher nicht einigen konnten"

Here in germany, you can't watch many YT videos because of copyright issues :frowning2:
But Brain Salad Surgery is a lovely album indeed, although I'm not a fan of Emerson Lake and Palmer.
But whenever one of them pops up as a guest musician on an album, consider buying it.

Well you could probably find a way around that?

May 23, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #20 of 35
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=9159

May 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 35
Nope, I'm not getting a VPN, as I'm not watching the "top 1000 music videos" anyway :D
If I stumble across a video I couln't watch, I use youtube un-blockers. Period. But I apprechiate the advertisement.

I had no idea that SME had rights on Emerson Lake and Palmer thought.

May 24, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #26 of 35

voivod is usually very metal, but angel rat is excellent album with heavy prog sound. much less metal.

May 24, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #29 of 35

May 24, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #30 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back