essential jazz vinyl, late 50's early 60's.
Aug 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chrisjsmith11

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I'm trying to flush out my jazz vinyl with essential albums from the late 50's and early 60's.

There are a vast swathe of albums from that period - so I thought if perhaps I give the forum jazz experts a few of my existing favourites, you could reccomend a few ''more of the same''

As an audio fan aswell as a new-to-jazz fan, I'd also appreciate reccomendations with excellent sound quality. That's one thing you guys can give me that I can't get on a jazz-board or similar.

so - existing faves - 

cannonball adderley/davis etc   - Somethin Else
davis - porgy and bess, the inevitable kind of blue
Lucky Thompson - Lucky Seven
Art Pepper/ Chet Baker
Mode for Joe - Joe Henderson
Rollins - Saxophone Collosus

Hopefully this will let you know ''the kind of jazz I like''

So can you pick a handfull more ''sure fire bets '' ?

nb
dont forget the audio quality :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Can't find this one just yet, but I'm keeping a lookout for Art Blakey's Anthenagin. I have one track off a compilation that is superb : "Anthenagin" off Kings of Jazz compiled by Jazzanova. Looking for CD though, not vinyl, but will take vinyl if I find it.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 6
 Although it was recorded in the 70s, a double LP was recently released of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Sesjun Radio Shows. Great album, with great sound quality.

Quote:
Can't find this one just yet, but I'm keeping a lookout for Art Blakey's Anthenagin. I have one track off a compilation that is superb : "Anthenagin" off Kings of Jazz compiled by Jazzanova. Looking for CD though, not vinyl, but will take vinyl if I find it.

You also might want to checkout stuff by Dexter Gordon, Sonny Clark (Leapin and Lopin' or Cool Struttin'), and the Oscar Peterson Trio with Lester Young ("The President Plays with The Oscar Peterson Trio").

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Johnny Griffin "The Congregation".

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Lucky Thompson - Lucky Seven

Wow! This may be the first get-me-into-jazz thread ever to start as deep as Lucky Thompson. Bravo!!

Maybe give a look through the following thread. There's a pretty wide range of stuff, from the mainstream to the avant-garde…I contributed to it a lot…

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553848/favorite-jazz-album-50s-60s-and-why

Users who are viewing this thread

Back