*Essential high quality recordings of...
Mar 4, 2002 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
I need "audiophile" CDs or LPs of the following songs:

• Beethoven Symphony No. 6 in F major ("Pastoral") Op. 68 Andante molto mosso (2nd movement)

• Brahms Clarinet Quintet in B minor, Op. 115 Andantino (3rd movement)

• Mozart Clarinet Quintet in A major ("Stadler") K. 581 Allegro (1st movement)

• Jean Sibelius Valse Triste, for orchestra (from Kuolema), Op. 44/1 No 1, Valse triste

Mar 4, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 8
www.amusicdirect.com might be a good start. Check it out and see if you can find anything in your want list.

Mar 4, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 8
Why do you need "audiophile" recordings? Personally, "audiophile" recordings are the absolute last things I would buy. I would always choose the greatest performances over the greatest recordings. Otherwise your just using music to listen to your hi fi, rather than using your hi fi to listen to music.

Incidentally, they are not "songs" but movements from larger works, and you will need to buy the complete works (which is a good things, because listening to movements taken out of context is not a good idea).

Ross

Mar 4, 2002 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 8
That's what I meant. I figure good performance equates to deserving high quality recording, thus go hand-in-hand. ??
Yes, I want complete works, just those are the specific movements that I really love.

I have CDs of the two clarinet quintets by Richard Stoltzman, and couldn't be happier with the performance. I was hoping to find even better recordings of his performances, particularly on vinyl.

Mar 4, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Ross
I would always choose the greatest performances over the greatest recordings. Otherwise your just using music to listen to your hi fi, rather than using your hi fi to listen to music

Truer words were never spoken...

Mar 4, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 8
For the Beethoven Symphony No. 6 I recommend Klemperer with the Phiharmonia on EMI, or Bohm with the Vienna Philharmonic on DG.

For the Mozart Quintet, Gervase de Peyer and the Amadeus Quintet on DG.

For Sibelius, Karajan on DG.

I leave others to make a recommendation for the Brahms.

Ross

Mar 4, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

That's what I meant. I figure good performance equates to deserving high quality recording, thus go hand-in-hand. ??

Uh, no. My Telarc version of the Planets sound extremely good, but I have some random 128k mp3 ones which indeed sound like absolute garbage. And the Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus mp3s are ebtter then the same tracks on the Telarc disc, and I prefer to listen to the mp3s as a result.

But the Telarc disc isn't bad to listen to by any means, it just isn't nearly as entertaining to listen to, and sounds a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back