Essential components? (noob)
Oct 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

widdors

100+ Head-Fier
I've spent a couple of weeks lurking, but I can't seem to figure out which components I would need to build my system. I'm looking at getting an oppo 980 CDP, possibly diying an amp, and decent HP. I enjoy listening to eclectic, electronica, alternative, and some rock. I will be listening at lower volume levels. Basically I'm just asking for a checklist of the minimum components I would need for a simple, entry level system that I could use to research the different components.
Thanks, and sorry if I should know better.

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 16
Welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you have a price range in mind? Are you looking for headphone recommendations? This is the source section and it looks like you have already figured out your source
wink.gif

DIYing an amp is a great way to get a lot for your money. I am happy with my CKKK III or whatever it is and I have heard good things about the Millet Max, but I do not know your budget.

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the reply. I probably did post in the wrong forum. I would like to stay under 500 for a budget, and so I was trying to figure what's all involved to get the music from the CDP to the HP with dedicated components, instead of going to best buy and buying a receiver.
Thanks.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 16
it sounds like you are on the right path. source, amp, headphones, and some cables to connect them. that's it. of course figuring out which source, amp, headphone in particular is best for you is the hard part.

more research and some more questions would help.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 16
O.K. source, amp, headphones and cables. Thanks, now I can have fun picking stuff out. I was mostly concerned that I would need power supplies, a dac, a switch, or something I haven't heard of yet. Thanks again.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 16
Since you have a limited budget, I would not worry about a DAC or power supply right now. Buying used headphones on this forum will save you some money, but you will not have the opportunity to try them out to determine what your preference is. You can learn a lot browsing the headphone forum here and you can check out the different types of DIY amps at www.headwize.com.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 16
Nope... DACs and power supplies are for people who like to separate their components... CD/DVD players generally have their own DACs, transports, and power supplies in one box. If you wanted a headphone amp, some of them also have outboard power supplies, so that could be a bunch of boxes, and their associated interconnect cables. Frankly, it could get pretty ridiculous if your transport and DAC also had separate power supplies.

The simplest setup would be a disc player with an integrated headphone amp... then you'd only have one box and a power cable. It's hard to find players with audiophile-level integrated headphone amps, though.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 16
I think I will end up building a millet max amp. The information over at head-wize is quite good and I think I can handle the build. I'll get the OPPO cdp, and try to decide on some headphones. I'll keep an eye out in the FS forums for a good set of HPs. Thanks for helping me make a little sense of everything.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by widdors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I will end up building a millet max amp. The information over at head-wize is quite good and I think I can handle the build. I'll get the OPPO cdp, and try to decide on some headphones. I'll keep an eye out in the FS forums for a good set of HPs. Thanks for helping me make a little sense of everything.

Sounds like it will be a good budget system. And if you do succeed in building the Millett Max (which is way too daunting for me at this point), you'll have a headphone amplifier that will scale for many upgrades to come.

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 16
Why not get a TC-7510 MK6/3 DAC and a decent transport? That should leave you with enough change to add a decent headphone as well. The DAC has a headphone amp that is one of the best performer within the U$150 bracket, and we are not even talking about the DAC itself.
Of course, if you have any analog sources, then you'll be better off getting a pre-amp with AUX inputs, and a CD player plus headphones.

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by widdors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm only going to be listening to music, not watching any movies, so I'll look into the TC-7510 MK6/3 DAC and a decent transport. Any recommendations on the transport?

Is using your computer an option? That may work well... Or, for cheap, the Sony SCD-CE595, which is a 5-CD changer that often sells for under $100.

Better yet, look for a used older single CD player with digital output.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Avin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The oppo is a dvd player and while it is an excellent one, perhaps pure cd player, all things considered would be a better investment in terms of pure sound quality.

But on the other hand the Oppo 981HD plays SACD and DVD-A discs, along with CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back