essential bootlegs
Feb 14, 2004 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

karmypolitics

100+ Head-Fier
No, I'm not referring to the illegal file trading that everyone's getting sued over at kazaa.

I'm referring to older stuff, like the Beatles and Dylan which was never released as album proper and thus floated around and were available only in bootleg form. I've searched around the internet music archive and it's pretty interesting, mostly live shows that you can't buy in stores. So, got any lists and places where to obtain?

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by karmypolitics
No, I'm not referring to the illegal file trading that everyone's getting sued over at kazaa.

I'm referring to older stuff, like the Beatles and Dylan which was never released as album proper and thus floated around and were available only in bootleg form. I've searched around the internet music archive and it's pretty interesting, mostly live shows that you can't buy in stores. So, got any lists and places where to obtain?

Hi karmypolitics,

The genuine bootleg is, as you know, an illegal entreprise in nature. So it's perfectly normal if we can't find them in a regular store. But you also knew that. For my part, I have seen a surprising number of hight quality bootlegs in places where you can buy or trade used CDs.
Warning!!! be prepare to spend a heavy price for them, the good ones are in demand.

P.S. Legal disclaimer: what preceded wasn't an advise on how to obtain illegal material: it was an socio-economic «observation»
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 18
There are many sites on the web that get permission form the musicians and or musicians estates to circulate the bootlegs you speak of. The only catch is that they never be sold. I have hundreds of Bootlegs of this nature and I even tape a few shows myself. I have a partial listing of my shows that I trade at db.etree.org/ilikemonkeys

Feb 14, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 18
I've been into bootlegs for a couple of months now. What can i say, it's been a revelation of live music for me.
There are sooo much live-music available if you know where to look. Start with Sharingthegroove
and you'll see the light, i promise...
cool.gif

It will kill your bandwidth though
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 18
Check out archive.org under live music, there's a few thousand live recordings in the shn format...from bands that typically allow live recording of their shows (like the dead, phish and many other jam bands). Although, i saw a Vanessa Carlton show on there and grabbed it up asap, sounds spectacular too. Download speeds are very zippy too, typically half a MB/sec.

I've been collecting boots for a few years now and enjoy listening to live material from bands that never released a live album to the public (a real bummer in many instances). Nothing beats listening to a concert you've attended...especially when you're the taper

wink.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by genetic
Hi karmypolitics,

The genuine bootleg is, as you know, an illegal entreprise in nature. So it's perfectly normal if we can't find them in a regular store. But you also knew that. For my part, I have seen a surprising number of hight quality bootlegs in places where you can buy or trade used CDs.
Warning!!! be prepare to spend a heavy price for them, the good ones are in demand.

P.S. Legal disclaimer: what preceded wasn't an advise on how to obtain illegal material: it was an socio-economic «observation»
wink.gif

Don't ever pay for boots, there's always a way to obtain them via trading, once you obtain some shows then you can start trading from there.

Feb 15, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 18
I'm listening to the Beach Boy's SMILE.. which has been pieced together from various out-takes and sources. Very interesting. It's divided up into 2 sides.. AMERICANA and ELEMENTAL. The ELEMENTAL side kicks off with "Good Vibrations" - but as for the other stuff, it's all new to me.. some wild stuff here.. definately the product of a mad genius.

-jar

Feb 15, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 18
Definitely check out etree.org, prolly best place to start, they trade strictly "trader-friendly" bands, bands that allow recording and trading of their live shows. Usually they download in shn/flac formats, so you need a way to get that onto cd, which isnt that difficult.

Also, as mentioned before, check out sharing the grove and archive.org/audio for lots of live shows.

And for duck's sake, here is an ftp, a fast one too

freejams.net
login: jams
password: shns

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Helloween
Don't ever pay for boots, there's always a way to obtain them via trading, once you obtain some shows then you can start trading from there.

Hi Helloween,

I didn't know that such possibility could exist. I was on the impression that these items were highly valuable because of their illicit nature and limited circulation. For that I'm certainly naive, and your suggestion makes perfect sense.

Regards,

P.S. I was stunned by the selling price of the only bootleg I was interested in (Killer of Van der Graaf Generator). The asked price was almost the same as a third of their complete collection
eek.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

ilikemonkeys: be careful this new hobby is VERY adictive!

oooh yes, amen to that!
600smile.gif

And about not paying for boots;
with internetacess you can download and burn yourself, and not pay for "produced" bootleg-tapes/vinyls/cds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back