Essential Beatles albums?
Nov 2, 2007 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

tight_budget

Head-Fier
I have some Beatles songs here and there on compilation CDs, but don't own any of their actual albums other than Sgt Peppers. Which albums are must-haves for a Beatles fan?

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 32
White Album and Abbey Road are the pinnacle of the Beatles creativity & musicianship. If possible, get the MFSL or Dr. Ebbetts recordings for best possible sound.

But I think you'll appreciate the Beatles more if you were able to listen all their albums chronologically. Then you'd be able to hear the changes and development of their music and sound.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
White Album and Abbey Road are the pinnacle of the Beatles creativity & musicianship.

Maybe true (it's debatable), but from the White Album on, the lads were almost exclusively laying down stuff separately in the studio....they weren't much of a 'band' anymore. Credit George Martin for masking that from our ears to a great extent, but once you learn the truth, it's hard to listen to the last 3 records the same way. There was still plenty of magic though; Revolution is at least as great as Taxman, for example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I think you'll appreciate the Beatles more if you were able to listen all their albums chronologically. Then you'd be able to hear the changes and development of their music and sound.

I agree.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 32
You should hear it all! The later stuff is great, and everyone should own Rubber Soul and Abbey Road, but don't miss out on Help! or A Hard Day's Night. If anything, they put the later albums in perspective, but they're also great albums on their own...

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 32
In chronological sequence:

A Hard Day's Night
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's (which you already have)
Magical Mystery Tour
White Album
Abbey Road
1 (for the early singles and Hey Jude)
Love

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 32
The general concensus is typically "Revolver through to Let it Be are indispensible", but I can't agree completely. Their earlier pop music is fantastic as well, and too often gets forgotten, IMO.

From their post-fab-four years, my absolute favourites are easy picks:

Revolver
Abbey Road
Rubber Soul

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 32
I think you need all of them, but I think that Help! is also a must buy. I know that Rubber Soul and Revolver are critic's favs and Help! is never really mentioned all that much, but Help! is the most played Beatles album in my collection. Not sure why, but songs like Ticket to Ride, Dizzy Miss Lizzie, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, etc.. never get stale to my ears. It also contains one of my favorite Ringo songs "Act Naturally".

While "Yesterday" has been played into the ground and covered by every lounge act known to man, it is a necessity for any Beatles fan.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need all of them, but I think that Help! is also a must buy...

Completely agree with you. Out of the pre-Revolver releases, Help! contains such a wealth of (cliche, I know, but) timeless classics it really can't be missed. For some reason, I find a lot of Beatles fans kind of forget about their earlier records since their later work was so groundbreaking. But the reality is, they were unbelievably huge before all that and, indeed, it was their knack for incredible and universal songwriting that afforded them the luxury of sailing into uncharted territory.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need all of them, but I think that Help! is also a must buy.

After further review, the play called on the field is overturned and Help! is added to the list.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back