Essence STX questions
May 14, 2016 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cloudz00x

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Purchased a Essence STX and DT990 pro 250ohm combo. Great sounding so far but I feel as if I'm missing some crucial settings. Been reading all over forums and this is what I have done.

1. Installed Unified Xonar Drivers
2. Set OHM for High Gain 64-300ohm (Little hammer next to analog OUT) 
3. Sample Rate - PCM 44.1Khz
4. Analog Out - Headphone

Should Audio channels be adjusted or left on 2? Since this is new territory for me... What are the benefits or cons from increasing/decreasing the channels.

Does Windows Sound properties need to be adjusted too?

Screenshot link below:
http://i64.tinypic.com/14jwbk1.jpg

If anyone can help with getting me a baseline or proper settings for this setup, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

May 14, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Just like you have I have the Asus Essence STX version 1. I have a pair of DT990's. If it seems quiet to you it is because of the impotence on the headphones. I also have a pair of HD555's and they have a bigger mid stage, but lack in the clarity that the 990's do.  

I was using the unified drivers, but switched to the asus driver instead. I got a Schiit Asgard so I no longer use the headphone setting anymore. I know I did bump my gain up one step. What amps do you have on the card? If it is stock it is worth picking up some newer amps geared toward how you plan to listen. 

I always run two channel on mine. Listening to headphone the sound just doesn't seem right when you push into more channels. Since you have only 2 drivers on the 990's I would just stick to listening on 2 channel. 

My set up for the 2 Speaker output is:
2 channel
48 KHz
PCM-Virtual Surround-7.1 surround all left off.
For the 990's I found I get the best sound under the soft rock equalizer under effects tab.
Flex bass is off
All DSP modes off
SVN- Smart volume is off

Hope this helps a little.

May 14, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the reply. I've adjusted to those settings. There are no separate amperage being done.. everything is handled via the STX.
I'll check into other amps including the Asgard you mentioned. Mainly using this for Gaming and music.

Do I have to adjust any settings in windows too? Believe I showed the images on the screenshot link

May 14, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 12
  Purchased a Essence STX and DT990 pro 250ohm combo. Great sounding so far but I feel as if I'm missing some crucial settings. Been reading all over forums and this is what I have done.
1. Installed Unified Xonar Drivers
2. Set OHM for High Gain 64-300ohm (Little hammer next to analog OUT) 
3. Sample Rate - PCM 44.1Khz
4. Analog Out - Headphone
Should Audio channels be adjusted or left on 2? Since this is new territory for me... What are the benefits or cons from increasing/decreasing the channels.
Does Windows Sound properties need to be adjusted too?
Screenshot link below:
http://i64.tinypic.com/14jwbk1.jpg
If anyone can help with getting me a baseline or proper settings for this setup, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the STX card?

Audio Channels.
Set for 2-channel for music or basic (like Internet) videos
Set to 6 or 8-channel for surround sound gaming or movies on DVD/Blu-ray.

Sample rate, might as well set it for 48K.
If you get high sample rate music, like from the website HTTracks, set sample rate to 96K or 192K.

May 25, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 12
Oh yes but I'm currently using just the stx and it sounds amazing. Next purchase is an amp to really facilitate. Definitely a better upgrade then using my old A50's.

You can't go wrong with a Schiit Asgard. That is my setup is the Essence stx and the Schiit Asgard. Only thing on my stx is my OPamps are upgraded to about a $60 set.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Question in regards to this setup.

The Schiit Asgard 2 came in and it sounds awesome. I have my headphones plugged in the front of the asgard.
My speakers which are corsair sp2500 have no sound coming through. Is a spliter required for this to work? IF not what is required?

Corsair Sp2500
DT 990 Pro 
Xonar Essence STX

Appreciate the help!

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 12
  Question in regards to this setup.

The Schiit Asgard 2 came in and it sounds awesome. I have my headphones plugged in the front of the asgard.
My speakers which are corsair sp2500 have no sound coming through. Is a spliter required for this to work? IF not what is required?

Corsair Sp2500
DT 990 Pro 
Xonar Essence STX

Appreciate the help!

For the Corsair SP2500, run a cable from the Asgard's RCA outputs to the input (RCA line-input or 3.5mm AUX input) on the Corsair.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the quick response.

I actually do have the sp2500 rca line in connected to the output on the Asgard 2. Even changed  the controller for the SP2500 to Line in  and tested aux 1 & 2.
To make sure it wasn't the cable I took it out and plugged it into the input and then to the STX which produced sound on the headset.

Is there a setting I'm missing perhaps on the STX? or is there something? GRanted I did use the Aux port on the sp2500 before purchasing the asgard 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back