Essence STX into dedicated AMP, two problems. ran out of options.
Sep 9, 2010 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

LokiS

New Head-Fier
I'll describe the problem as best as I can, I've tried everything to fix the issues but don't know what to do next, hoping some more experienced people can give some help. For what it's worth I've been a reader of the site for awhile, just never posted, anyway the problems..

(AMP is Matrix M-Stage, Sound card Asus Essence STX, both connect by a 2xRCA to 3.5mm)

1) First problem is more geared towards the amp itself as I had the same issue on another sound card but worse. Basicly putting the sound card volume up on the PC will cause distortion in the sound, on the X-Fi going over 25% caused distortion (which was very bad as the volume was too low), on the STX anything above 50% will cause it. So I mainly use the amp to increase volume when needed. Is this normal?, I have seen this issue elsewhere, one guy said he had the same issue on this forum but no more was posted and I assume with a different AMP than mine. Any insight here?

2) Essence STX, I'm getting a popping noise when certain sounds are played, the popping is present even if the volume is low, or high, even tried all the gains and its still there. I ran the DPC Latency test and everything was fine all well into green with the sound taking priority when using it. Tried a different headset, still there, tried taking the AMP out the equation and the popping is still there so I'm pretty sure its the STX. I didn't have any popping on my old X-Fi, but using that goes back to problem 1 where volume is an issue.

Also tried both official drivers, modded Xense drivers, Vista drivers (which bolloxed my pc and needed to clean install) and finally Xonar Unified drivers and I still have the unified in. Worth noting that the popping is louder on some drivers than others. The popping isn't constant, it only does it when on certain sounds, for example when playing Arma 2 the popping happens a lot when in a tank, the popping is also heard in some songs also much less. I used one song to test and the pop happens in the same place. Placing the card in a different PCI-e slot didn't help.

I'm stuck, I've tried everything I know what to try, I'm at a point of trying to refund the card and buying a Auzentech one but worried to bits that the popping issue might still be there and it still doesnt fix the issue of problem one. I need experienced users advice on what to do. If any info is required please ask, thanks in advance.
triportsad.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 21
Concerning number 1) why don't you just used the line out on the STX, which are specially designed  to connect an amp? Connecting 2 headphones amp in serie is likely to degrade the sound and lead to distorsion.
2) is probably related to a setting within the STX control panel, Vista or your game setting if it only happens while playing.
The STX is a  card designed more for music  than gaming. For gaming I wouldn't bother with a separate amp and just use the heaphone out on the STX. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the reply, I'll try use the line out in a second if I can find a wire.

As for needing the dedicated amp I have AKG 702s which need the drive from a dedicated amp. I've tried going through all the options in the control panels,  making sure windows doesn't alter anything etc, the popping also happens in music sometimes too.

Edit: To note I'm using Windows 7, I only tried the Vista driver to see if it fixed the popping.

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 21
Installing  and uninstaling many different drivers often lead to more problems as there is often entries left in the registry, custom or modded drivers are often the worst. I would try a clean install with the official driver (not the beta one). What software are you using to play music? Have you tried different drivers within your music player (WASAPI, ASIO, DS)?

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 21
I've just tried using the line out, didn't fix the distortion at high volume setting
frown.gif
. As for the clean driver install it was with the unified driver, however I will do a clean install now to test. Will get back to you.

Edit: As for the WASAPI, ASIO, DS I don't normally use such programs and from my understanding video games wont use them anyway which is were the popping is also present. Even know the card isn't designed for gaming surely I shouldn't be getting popping, its also present listening to files in VLC player or any other player.

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 21
To get to the heart of the issue it best to remove the Matrix out of the equation and use the STX onboard heaphone amp first.....
make sure you physically remove the card and restart the machine without it.
wink_face.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 21
Clean install, drivers in, popping still present. I've also removed the M-stage out completely before and connected the headphones straight into the STX and the popping was still there, I will double check.

Ok just checked, popping still there without the M-Stage.
frown.gif
, I've removed the STX already into a different slot, just the same.

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 21
Could anyone help with the sound distortion with volume control? (problem 1 in post), its limiting what I can do in regards of replacement sound card. When using the X-Fi I had to put the volume low to stop the distortion and the only way to increase volume was through the amp. The amp is already on 10db setting, to make it at a volume I want I would have to up the Db setting and up the knob on it, wouldn't that risk over driving the headphones?

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 21
If the distortion is there with both cards and  without  music playing there is obviously something wrong with your motherboard. Have your tried your onboard sound? or you could try removing your graphic card? clearing your CMOS....

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 21
To be honest you mess around with so many drivers and moving around and swapping  cards, a fresh Window install with the STX only (bios setting reurned to factory default but with your onboard sound disabled) might be your only recourse. If that doesn't work you will need to get a new motherboard. Good luck..

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 21
Thanks for the replys Zen. To be clear the sound distortion on volume control is only present once the M-stage is in the picture, If I take out the amp completely volume control is fine and does not distort, where as when I re setup the amp I have to down the volume or it will distort at high volume control. Right now its at 50% which is fine as I can get loud volume through the amp but any higher than 50% on sound card volume dial it will distort. I will try find the thread the guy posted in about it to see if it will offer information here.

As for the clean install I have a full windows 7 backup, completely clean no drivers etc, I did this earlier to post and the popping issue was still there. I don't believe thats an issue, it could be a driver issue I don't know. Will go find that thread now.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 21
Sorry to keep bumping, I tried to look for that thread and can't find it now, but it was a guy with the same issue in regards to problem one. I remember someone saying it could be with the frequency being sent into the amp from the card when the volume is increased on the software, but is was just pure speculation. I really at a loss, don't know what to do.

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 21
If the distortion only happen through the the Matrix then it is more likely to be a ground loop problem, which can be pain to sort out. try plugging the matrix in a  different wall power socket or lift the ground on the matrix (not always safe!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back