[Essence STX II, Linux] Can 'pop' noises when switching output damage headphones?
Sep 29, 2017 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RSW576

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently got an Asus Xonar Essence STX II soundcard, and while looking for information about the card, I came across this. So, someone made a patch for the driver to solve an issue of loud pop noises when switching the output. Now, I indeed have a noise when switching from speakers to headphones (also happens every time I open my session). However, it seems a bit different from what the original poster described there, because it's not a very loud 'pop', and it's in the reverse direction. Well, I'm not sure about the volume, it's louder than on Windows and unpleasant, but intuitively, I wouldn't say loud to the point of damaging the headphones because it doesn't even sound very loud to my ears if I'm wearing the headphones (and I don't think that I have hearing loss). Now, I know that intuition doesn't always tell us the right thing… I have tried to apply the patch, but so far I haven't been able to because I'm missing the /proc/config.gz file, and I think it may require recompiling the entire kernel (I'm using Fedora and the person who made the patch used Arch, where /proc/config.gz may be enabled by default, I don't know).

Do you think that it is alright, or should I be concerned and try to apply the patch asap ? Can this kind of noise really damage headphones, again since it doesn't seem that loud to me ? Also, I never switch while music is playing, and I have since the beginning correctly set the headphone gain setting to < 32 Ω (my headphones are the Sennheiser HD 569, which have an impedance of 23 Ω).

Sorry for the long post, I'm a noob when it comes to audio equipment. Thank you

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 3
Even if it was louder, it probably wouldn't damage the headphones. You should be alright!

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 3
It takes a lot to damage a headphone and a pop that you hear and are not throwing them off your head and screaming as little chance of damaging them. You should always turn the volume down when switching stuff around as it can not be good to your ears if you forget that you had it cranked up for something that was quiet and then something not so much been there done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back