espresso (no, not -fi) ;)
May 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
any espresso machine gurus here?

after about 3 yrs, my breville gave up. its a $400 class machine but not quite pro level, from what I've been reading.

now trying out a gaggia 'twin'. only having semi-success with it.

lets have a thread about espresso machines with pro-level features (3 way valve, full size portafilters, replaceable/standard commercial parts, good build quality - all that neat stuff
wink.gif

if the gaggia does not work out for me, I'm thinking about the rancilio silvia:

3400medlg.gif

anyone own that one?

May 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 42
May 22, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 42
i use a black n decker drip machine but I get my coffee ground powder-fine aka turkish . much more flavor and caffeine extraction this way ... i also usually only buy African beans, particularly Kenyan Grand Cru and/or Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, etcetra ...

May 22, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 42
now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!

what made you get rid ofo the silvia? were there things that you couldn't change about it that forced you to upgrade to a whole new class of machine? (I understand the PID upgrade process is common on machines like this and it brings it up a class, with that kind of temperature control).

I would get around to doing one of the PID kits (or doing my own) - but not to start out.

I like the idea of having a machine that is repairable (!) and using more or less standard parts. that's one thing that I have read about the silvia (and higher end) machines - they use commercial grade parts. I like that. if I can enter that game at the $500 point, I'll be a happy espresso guy
wink.gif

May 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have a Silvia and Rocky but I love the double boiler in my new machine.

Chris Coffee Service - La Spaziale Vivaldi II Single Group Dual Boiler

VIVALDIII.jpeg

That's an entirely different class of machine. The second boiler adds a substantial amount of cost. It's more convenient, but it's also a lot of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what made you get rid ofo the silvia? were there things that you couldn't change about it that forced you to upgrade to a whole new class of machine? (I understand the PID upgrade process is common on machines like this and it brings it up a class, with that kind of temperature control).

I would get around to doing one of the PID kits (or doing my own) - but not to start out.

I like the idea of having a machine that is repairable (!) and using more or less standard parts. that's one thing that I have read about the silvia (and higher end) machines - they use commercial grade parts. I like that. if I can enter that game at the $500 point, I'll be a happy espresso guy
wink.gif

The Silvia is around $600. I've almost got the wife convinced to let me buy one. I've already got fairly decent grinder (Baratza Virtuoso).

Aside from adding a PID to the Silvia, there is a "temperature surfing" method for the Silvia that gives you better control over the extraction temperature. Sweet Maria's has some good links to temp surfing and modding the Silvia.

May 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

lets have a thread about espresso machines with pro-level features (3 way valve, full size portafilters, replaceable/standard commercial parts, good build quality - all that neat stuff
wink.gif

Yeah, the money is more up front, but long term it may be better to buy higher up the chain if you can stretch.

May 22, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

wink.gif

Sorry, I missed this post before I responded to the other guy.

I got rid of the Silvia because I was making multiple cappuccinos, 3-4, at a time and waiting on the single boiler was slow. It is a great machine, highly regarded, so if it will be just you, or espresso only, it may be an excellent fit.

May 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 42
I don't like espresso coffee as it is too strong for me. I like cafe' latte though. I use drip coffee machine with thermos carafe. Carafe keeps the coffee fresher longer compared to the ones with a warming plate.

May 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

any espresso machine gurus here?

after about 3 yrs, my breville gave up. its a $400 class machine but not quite pro level, from what I've been reading.

now trying out a gaggia 'twin'. only having semi-success with it.

wink.gif

if the gaggia does not work out for me, I'm thinking about the rancilio silvia:

3400medlg.gif

anyone own that one?

I don't own it and I can't swear it's exactly the same. But the one I've had the pleasure to have an espresso from a few times brewed it just right.

May 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 42
Oooh! I love my Espresso and Lattes! I use the Delonghi EC155 with the Bodum 2 oz thermally insulated shot glasses because there is not enough clearance under the portafilter for anything much larger.

My favorite quickie in the mornings recently has been filling the shot glass 1/2 - 2/3 with espresso, and topping it off with a generous amount of whipped cream. Oh it's delicious.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back