Espers, "Espers" -- psychedelic acid folk for the masses
Jun 20, 2004 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
God, I love doing this. I actually downloaded this disc at random (I'm going to purchase it as soon as it comes into stock at Aquarius) because I thought the name "Espers" was cool. What an amazing surprise.

Espers consists of Greg Weeks, Meg Baird, and Brooke Sietensons. Apparently Greg Weeks is rather well-known amongst the psychedelic/drone/acid-folk scene (yes, there is an entire subgenre of this stuff) but this is my first encounter with the music in general.

So what, exactly, is Espers? Well, imagine the traditional folk music of Scandinavia (metal fans, see Ulver's Kveldssanger for a reference), although it doesn't sound pagan or even Scandinavian. (As you'll see shortly, Espers' music is full of paradoxes.) Then imagine this folk music -- played beautifully, full of melody and life -- informed by several traditions from the '60s and '70s, namely minimalism/drone music and acid/psychedelic rock. Then, add absolutely gorgeous, lush, sonorous vocals (male and female; the female vocals have the same lush, sweet, silky quality of Dierdre Smith of Strawberry/Valley of the Giants), mix and mash, and you have Espers.

As I was saying, this Espers disc is a paradox. The music is traditional, yet avant-garde; haunting, yet calming; beautiful, yet dissonant; spiritual but not religious. It makes me feel like I'm wandering through a forest glade, disconnected and floaty, viewing everything through a fuzzed-out acid-washed tie-dye filter.

To me, Espers is revolutionary. My eyes (and ears) have opened to yet another genre. I have little doubt that this disc will end up on my top 10 (perhaps top 5?) of the year.

- Chris

Jun 21, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 8
You haven't steered me wrong yet, I'll have to check it out.

Have you heard Subarachnoid Space? On one hand, it kind of matches your description -- droney, psychedelic, jammy, but on the other hand, I doubt it's anywhere near as heavy -- it contains more of an "indie rock" vibe than a heavy metal one. Anyway, worth checking out. I dig 'em.

Jun 21, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, I have heard Subarachnoid Space. It's been a while, though, and when I heard them I wasn't into their kinda music -- thanks for reminding me, time to revisit them...

- Chris

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 8
Chris,

Streetlight in Campbell has this in stock currently (they did as of last week). I picked this up on the rec from Aquarius and I also enjoyed some of Weeks' other material as well.

Great great record and it is in my top 5 this year as well.

I usually enjoy listening to this after listening to the Wicker Man soundtrack.

Jun 27, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 8
scamper,

Very glad you're enjoying it. I'm definitely going to acquire some of Greg Weeks' other material. On a sidenote, I've downloaded Cyann & Ben's albums (French artists, originally released on the same label as Espers - Locust) who sound somewhat similar to Espers -- and they are another worthy purchase candidate.

I love new music.

- Chris

Jun 27, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Windy & Carl - yeah. Although I'd say that's a bit different; the W&C I have heard was pure guitar drone, no folky influences. I actually just got a various artists CD from Aquarius, great drones, called Evolved as One. Much on there that you'd enjoy if you like Windy & Carl.

Speaking of Aquarius, scamper, have you been there? They're on Valencia between 21st and 22nd (or 22nd and 23rd? I ALWAYS forget) in San Francisco. Probably the best record store I've ever been to. So utterly cool. I wish more independent record stores like that still existed...

- Chris

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 8
True what you say about Windy and Carl. Though, I think they are pretty close in spirit, imo.

Yeah, I try to hit Aquarius every time I am in SF. Usually I buy stuff there if I can find what I want...then I go to Amoeba.
biggrin.gif

The Aquarius list is one of the best free reads on the intenet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back