Esound E5-M
Nov 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lordearl

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone here also using this cd player?

I bought mine not long ago as an upgrade to the Cambridge 640C - without a doubt it has redefined the term 'upgrade' for me!

So far I have only used the "class A" RCA outputs, but am considering using the "class AB" XLR outputs using a Cardas XLR->RCA adapter (my preamps and headphone amps are all unbalanced).

What is the difference between class A and class AB, and has anyone heard a noticeable difference in a machine that produces both outputs?

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 2
I believe this player is similiar to the stock Esound they started with.
I have a stock Esound, and it sounds wonderful. Tried a Jolida , a Rakk Dac, and others. Esound is very refined and not harsh. I am looking to move to a dac since I want to go to a computer setup, but I know I will have to pay more to better this CD player.
I asked a reputable mod company whether the PS Audio III dac would be better, and they said it is similar, just a slightly different flavor. That says a lot about the Esound. My does not have class or class AB markings on the outputs. I don't believe the XLR are true XLR outs.
You would get better sound from the RCA (I guess thats why is says class "a" - which typically sounds better on amps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back